Sunday, June 16, 2013

Senior's Surprise

Friday night Cassy, Grace, Alec and Aidan surprised me by showing up at my doorstep and driving me to a lovely italian dinner. Just the five of us. I actually was dressed and had my hair combed because I was expecting Cassy to come and watch the kids while Bill and I went out for a bite to eat.

Mary had been waiting on the front porch for about 45 minutes, watching for Cassy's car. All day the kids were asking me--would Cassy bring a movie--would Cassy bring a new game to play. . . I had NO idea they were in on it.

When the doorbell rang I opened the door and saw them all standing there. My first thought was--we don't need this many babysitters. My second thought was--Cassy, I don't care how chummy we are and if you are almost 18, you CAN'T HAVE A PARTY WITH BOYS AT MY HOUSE!

Then I saw that they were all dressed up and they had a gift for me--a large professionally framed photo of the five of us. They were here to take me out and Bill would stay home and eat leftover cheeseburgers.

I imagine they felt very grown up taking me out and I felt very young recounting my college stories to them. At one point Cassy said something like, "it sounds like everything in your life happened for a purpose." It's true. God blessed the broken road, that's for sure. All the bands and all the boy friends and all the taking much too long to achieve college degrees. . . meeting the right teachers like Doris Harrel at the right time and the right friends, like Ginny and her religious revivals. It's okay if you get a little bit off track now and then, but I told them, all religious rules and parental politics aside, the bottom line is that there are three things you must do. . .

Number one is to stay alive. Mostly that means being careful about cars. How you drive and with whom and when you get into a car. Your life is the most valuable thing you have.

Number two is that you have to meet your potential. God has a path for you too. That means not getting so much into anything else that you don't become yourself.  Like a boyfriend or girlfriend. Or drinking or drugs. Or video games. . . whatever your temptation is.  Have fun, experience life.  Play in a country band in Texas dance halls. . . but don't get too far off the path.

Number three is that eventually you have to give something back. I'm still working on that. I guess that one takes the rest of your life.

One of the moms in my studio, Mrs. Wicklander, was giving the seniors some words of wisdom after a run through at my house. She told them something like--you don't know the gift that you are yet to receive with this music. The gift will follow you all your life. As you experience life the meaning of these pieces and this music will change. The birth of a child. Getting married. The death of a parent. Under her words was the message that you can't fully play this music yet because you haven't fully lived life yet.

I had to look away because the words struck home. The very Brahms Intermezzo in A that Aidan had just played was my "go to" piece when my friend Ginny was dying of breast cancer. A-major with it's angelic overtones and the chorale in the middle and the dark B section that skirts that veil between deep sadness and anger. The words of wisdom were true.

The girls asked me about Bill, how we met and how long we were engaged and stuff like that. We knew each other twelve years before we dated. I highly recommend it. You will be happy single, but if you have to get married--make sure to marry your best friend. Motorcycles and electric guitars will come and go. Friendship and character endure.

Yes, there is a path. God does have a plan for you. You will be blessed by your obedience. Your parents will not be there this Fall. So, it might be obedience to God or perhaps your craft or your own conscience. Maybe even the words and expectations of your childhood piano teacher. But you will be blessed by obedience and discipline.

That's more advice than you asked for and I see that your thoughts are drifting to picking out towels for your dorm room and class schedules and freedoms. In any case, thank you for a very memorable evening. I'll never forget it.

As you go on your way may Christ go with you 
May He go before you to show you the way
May He go behind you to encourage you
Beside you to befriend you
Above you to watch over you
Within you to give you peace!





No comments:

Post a Comment