Monday, September 23, 2013

When We've Been There 10,000 Years

Daddy and Mary on the day she was born

A photo that never made the scrapbook but is awfully precious now-Daddy and Calvin
It's the anniversary of my dad's death.  Four year ago today. The sharp knife of a short life.

In August I read the book Proof of Heaven by Eben Alexander.  Reading these near death experience books can be very comforting, especially this one with a very scientific slant.

There are all sorts of things about religion that I'm unsure about.  There are some however that I feel very confident about.  Here are a few. . .

God's time is not our time. Any god capable of creation floats above our time and space continuum. That's why science and religion are not in conflict for me--period.

Secondly, the vast and unimaginable love of God transcends the patches of evil and suffering on Earth.  All the injustices and sorrows throughout our histories, even the big ones, are but a speck against God's galaxy of joy.

Thirdly, no one is forgotten.  I don't know my great grandparents. I never did. Their personalities and idiosyncrasies will soon be forgotten by everyone living. But not by God.

Daddy,  you are only four years into the first 10,000--I wonder what you will do with yourself--assuming there are no flat sopranos in heaven and presumably everyone is already using really good diction. The horses there probably don't poop or need new shoes. Community development? Not. Well, there must be something there to do--because to you, heaven was not a place of leisure.

I wonder if God allows turkey hunting.

These are the mysteries we don't understand. But you do now, Daddy--and for that I'm happy.
We miss you. You will never be forgotten, by this generation or the next.  

3 comments:

  1. I'm just singing along....

    "When we've been here 10,000 years, bright shining as the sun,
    We've no less time to sing God's praise than when we first begun."

    Amen, Sister.

    As long as they have football and Westerns to watch, Daddy might just manage. A little catch and release fly-fishing might also get him through. I remember telling him it was okay to go on ahead to check things out for the rest of us. We'd catch-up.

    The Bible does not specifically indicate, however, nothing would make me happier- and I do mean nothing- than to have Mary, Calvin and Savannah meet those great-grandparents of ours.

    Thank you for writing, Sara.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After I wrote this, I had the luxury of going out for a walk in the Minnesota fall sunshine. There were five turkeys on Blackhawk Road and they wouldn't budge. Cars were stopped and laughing and honking at them. Eventually I had to chase them off--since I was on foot. These little messages in nature are so sweet, I was looking for turkeys yesterday--and there they were -like angels or little helpers of the Holy Spirit.

    Susan--thanks for reading and I miss you and happy belated birthday, again. Love you, Sara

    ReplyDelete