Monday, July 14, 2014

A Curriculum of People and Music

Friday is Calvin's thirteenth birthday. It will also be the ten year anniversary of me sitting with him everyday at the piano. We estimate that puts us at approximately 3100 practice hours together.

That is a lot to think about. Will I continue to practice with him until he graduates? Will he become more independent? Both? Will I continue to be the best teacher for him? One day at a time, sweet Jesus.

It's summer and the days fill up, that is for sure. I'm happy to be teaching this summer, albeit a reduced schedule. The piano kids are making good progress. Nine of them have book level graduation recitals this summer.  That is a lot of cookies and lemonade.

Every year I revisit all the different opportunities for pianists. There is no shortage of extremely high quality festivals, certificates, and grading systems floating around the nation. I'm talking about the Guild, and the Federated Music Clubs and the ABRSM and the myriad other examination based programs.

I always get sucked in. My kids should be doing that! I did theory tests in Texas. We should have a curriculum. We are falling behind the traditional kids. 

Then I look at my calendar and the graduation recitals and think. . . when?  When am I supposed to do this. And the answer is I can't. The kids can't always either. We are always making choices.

The choice I have made is to have faith in my own curriculum. I choose events for my piano students that will make the best use of their time and my time and support their musicality the most efficiently.

That means planning masterclasses where they work one on one with inspiring guest teachers. This is without a doubt the most bang for the the buck. Observing great musicians teach music is the best way to learn, period.

Secondly--piano is a lonely business. We have to play with other musicians and pianists. Planning chamber music and concerto events is a very high priority to me. Next summer we are going to do another concerto event coupled with chamber music trios and quartets for those not ready for a concerto. It's expensive. It's time consuming. It's amazing. It's worth it.

Thirdly--I support the personal goals of each and every student. This means planning events to support landmarks in their progress--such as Suzuki Book Level graduations and senior recitals. Going to a student's home for her recital, helping her plan her musical preparation and teaching her how to set and achieve big goals is truly the most important thing I do. The growth that happens in the process of these recitals is so much greater than the $10 trophy I give. Most of these kids will also participate in the S.A.M. graduation program each March and S.A.M. does give a bigger trophy, (wink) but for me, seeing the child in her home environment with her own people is the bigger joy. This is when you really get to know the family. This is what makes kids stick with it for one more book and one more book and one more book.

These three foundational activities have become my curriculum. Yes, I still have to have the discipline to assign and check theory every week and I have a strong commitment to music literacy, and we still have to do scales, but these are the activities I value the most.

They all have two things in common--great people and great music.

Saturday I attended my first Suzuki Association of Minnesota board retreat. Yes, as president elect. Yikes. Big yikes. But, as I think about it--I will bring the same goals to S.A.M. as I would to my own studio. Celebrate people. Celebrate music. When you look at it that way it's not so scary. And I still have another year to get ready. . .

People and Music. A great curriculum. There are a million valuable musical things to do--but as I set my goals and the calendar for next year--after careful consideration--I'm not doing anything differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment