Tuesday, August 19, 2014

How Close to Heaven We Are

August 22, 2009

Iowa 2009  

Five Years Ago. . . 
It's been a great summer. As rare as it happens in my life, it was very balanced. People, piano, plants.

A year ago was the terrible hail storm--and the start of a year of perfect things getting ruined. Things, yes, but still. . . . you know how I feel about beautiful things getting ruined.

The plants came back and the roof got fixed, the decks got repaired and the cat pee smell is mostly gone from the newly finished basement. . . the squirrels are out of the piano room ceiling. I think. I'm not so angry anymore. Time heals all wounds, they say.

Five years ago was the last good week with my dad. What a gift that was. When there is no more chemo and no more nothing, all that's left is to sit out by the fire with the kids and cook a hot dog. When Bill took those photos we didn't know how close to heaven we were.

I think about my Dad almost everyday, but I'm not so angry anymore. Time heals.

It's been a great summer. There's still a little more to come--the fair, a concert and some cabin time. And. . . I hope as Bill takes those late summer pictures--that we remember exactly how close to heaven we are.

1 comment:

  1. These pictures. We are blessed. So very blessed. The debts of gratitude we owe to our parents- Every day I grow more and more appreciative. Thank you for posting, Sara. I didn't know- Didn't know how much we could heal. But we are and we have and God's grace continues to be unfathomable.

    ReplyDelete