Monday, October 13, 2014

The Ones We Love





As pastor Sam would say, we lost one of our good people this weekend. Karen Capel lost her very short battle with pancreatic cancer. Losing Karen leaves a huge impact crater. My friend lost her mom. My student lost her grandma. Our church choir lost an alto. The list could go on and on. A friend. A golfer. A women of faith.

I overheard Mary and Amelia talking. . . why is it that only the ones we love get cancer?

If those little girls come up with an answer I'll shout it to the world.

Meanwhile, we celebrate Karen's life. We will be busy this week with church and music, as though if we practiced hard enough we could somehow lighten their grief.

We can't do that, but we can sing the song for them.

Sara's guest blog on Easter's website: My Life Goes on In Endless Song.




1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Sara. Appreciate all of your blog today- pictures and words. You may have to remove this post... The only answer I can think of for Mary and Amelia is that a**holes never get cancer and are especially immune to pancreatic cancer. But, instead of telling them that...and you already know this, but here I go... This wise, wise professor at Luther told me, when I asked him such questions, was that the only way to "answer" this question was to switch questions. The new question would be "What can I do about it?" I think we've done a pretty good job of answering that one. Love to you.

    ReplyDelete