Friday, November 14, 2014

God Gave the Growth


I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the growth. 1 Corinthians 3:6.

I realize I'm taking that scripture completely out of the context of Biblical history, but nonetheless it's been going through my mind all week.

It's so boring to read about. . . but suffice it to say that life snowballed on me this week. Calvin was sick all week, there was an SAA deadline for my video presentation for Parents as Partners, a SAM board meeting which I ran on Emily's behalf, choir, the regular piano kids and extra practice everyday with Calvin and Mary in preparation for the their graduation recitals this weekend. Thirty pieces we have been working on between the two of them. And yesterday apparently we had a heavy exposure to yet another stomach flu. Send us prayers for health in the next 48 hours. . .

I took Calvin back to the doctor Wednesday morn.  On top of the crazy virus he had with the normal cough/cold/stomach hoopla, he had a double ear infection and pink eye. He told me the pitch was off in his ears, and one ear was hearing a half step higher than the other. The doctor was a pianist and told him that he would have to be like Beethoven and play with his heart at the recital and not his ears. That's funny. But not exactly what I had in mind pedagogically. My husband's mantra is you don't play with your fingers, you play with your ears.

Speaking of my husband--I feel such a need to give thanks this week. To him, to Delores, to Mary Lynn and my mom--all the people who helped me get through this week.

And also--my heart is so full of thanks to all the teachers who have helped Calvin and Mary particularly the last 18 months getting ready for this recital. So here it goes. . .

Thank you Fay Adams and Karen Bartman. Thank you Gail Gebhart and Linda Gutterman. Thank you Annette Lee and Suzanne Greer. Thank you Beatriz Aguerrrevere for being Mary's "piano grandma." Thank you all, for all the patience working with my kids. It's not easy to teach a teacher's kid. Thank you Jill Thomas and Maria Grant for being on the teach your own kids support line--those little thoughts you send go a long way. Who am I forgetting? I'll think of it later. . .

Thank you Vickie Pautz and Doris Harrel and the whole gang in Austin and Houston--for everything you continue to teach me.

This community is amazing to me. I can't imagine teaching without it.

We had help outside the community too--thanks to Tadeusz Majewsky and Kathie Faricy and Katheran Ananda Owens. What a wealth of good people we have in life.

So when I say I teach my own kids. Yes, I planted, but these teachers watered. And God gave the growth.

Thank you Jonelle, for ever so kindly and persistently reminding me of my own words, that it isn't about this particular performance--it's about how they play the piano. With their ears. With their hearts. The work is done. The practice is over. All that is left is the gift of music to a room full of people who love you.

And cake. A lot a cake.


No comments:

Post a Comment