Sunday, February 22, 2015

Eagles' Wings and the Beautiful Savior




Yesterday would have been my dad's 75th birthday. I didn't think of it until late in the afternoon when I went to run this morning's anthem, Eagle's Wings. I could hear him singing it in full voice in my inner ear.

The anthem is based on Psalm 91, a favorite of many, including Bill's mom. I turned to it when my dad was sick.

When he died of pancreatic cancer I lost my spark for it--I guess it turns out you can dash your foot pretty hard even with those angels circling round.

It's still a very pretty song and this morning our choir did a really special job with it. At least for me--it seemed like that rare combination of simple and expressive.

I was still chewing on the dashing our foot so hard as I sat and prepared to listen to the sermon. "Who was Jesus?" Pastor Paul gave a lot of scholarly historical info about true God and true man and the reasons for our different creeds and I learned a lot. It was a great message.

Then we sang the hymn Beautiful Savior and it all came back to me. No one dashed their foot harder than Jesus. The whole true God and true man and the whole reason we need Jesus came over me like a flood. God has been there. The story isn't over yet. Maybe the shine like the sun part is still to come--for my dad and for all the innocents. For all of us. Maybe even the hold you in the palm of his hand part too. Maybe that's why the Beautiful Savior part is so important. I know this, but it's easy to forget. That's why it's okay to sing the same songs and hear the same message over and over. It's so easy to forget.

My foot is feeling a little better.



You who dwell in the shelter of the Lord
Who abide in His shadow for life
Say to the Lord
"My refuge, my rock in whom I trust!"

And he will raise you up on eagles' wings
Bear you on the breath of dawn
Make you to shine like the sun
And hold you in the palm of his hand.

The snare of the fowler will never capture you
And famine will bring you no fear
Under His wings your refuge
His faithfulness your shield.

And he will raise you up on eagles' wings
Bear you on the breath of dawn
Make you to shine like the sun
And hold you in the palm of his hand.

You need not fear the terror of the night
Nor the arrow that flies by day
Though thousands fall about you
Near you it shall not come.

And he will raise you up on eagles' wings
Bear you on the breath of dawn
Make you to shine like the sun
And hold you in the palm of his hand.

For to His angels He's given a command
To guard you in all of your ways
Upon their hands they will bear you up
Lest you dash your foot against a stone.

And he will raise you up on eagles' wings
Bear you on the breath of dawn
Make you to shine like the sun
And hold you in the palm of his hand.

and. . ..

Beautiful Savior.
King of Creation,
Song of God and Son of Man!
Truly I'd love Thee,
Truly I'd serve Thee,
Light of my soul, my Joy, my Crown.

Fair are the meadows,
Fair are the woodlands,
Robed in flowers of blooming spring;
Jesus is fairer,
Jesus is purer;
He makes our sorrowing spirit sing.

Fair is the sunshine,
Fair is the moonlight,
Bright the sparkling stars on hight;
Jesus shines brighter,
Jesus shines purer,
Than all the angels in the sky.

Beautiful Savior,
Lord of the nations,
Son of God and Son of Man!
Glory and honor,
Praise, adoration, 
Now and forevermore be Thine!




1 comment:

  1. The choir sang that same song (Eagle's Wings) a week or so ago. I actually googled "dash your foot against a stone" to eek every bit of meaning that I could out of that song. And I spoke to the congregation, before we sang it, about how it so made me think of our most precious loved ones--our innocents. And it does.

    ReplyDelete