Monday, March 9, 2015

All Systems Go









Congratulations to Peter, Elizabeth, Solomon, Nehemiah, Calvin, Mary, Úna, Preston, Ford, Matthew, Britta and Lena who performed beautifully at the University Lutheran Church of Hope on Saturday.  Congrats also to Isabella and Kajsa who graduated from Books 1 & 2 respectively but were unable to be there.

There are many things in life that operate better with a system. When you have a system you don't have to reinvent the wheel over and over and you don't have to worry if what you are doing is good enough.  For example. . . I go to an exercise class twice a week.  The teacher is an expert and I just turn my fitness over to her.  I'm satisfied that if I do my classes and go for a couple walks every week I'm getting my exercise. For this stage in my life, that will have to do. It's good enough. I also have a gal turned friend who has helped me clean my house for the last 11 years.  Twice monthly we put everything right in the house. It's good enough. I don't waste any more energy--I turn it over to the experts.

Our Suzuki teachers group has a pretty darn good system. We are the graduation experts. Friday night I got the call that the trophy company had neglected to include the 61 book one trophies in our shipment. Ouch. It's the youngest kids who need the trophies the most. We scrambled. Calvin printed out a sweet congratulations card with an apology for the missing trophy. One gal bought 61 carnations. One gal picked up a bag of chocolates. Each Book One graduate had SOMETHING--a sweet little tied together package--to take home with them.  The trophies arrived from New Ulm by noon and the afternoon recitals all got their trophies. The children were gracious--every little thing in life is an opportunity for character development.

I'm still continuing to review my technical curriculum. I'm seeking out the experts to really go over what I'm doing with a fine toothed comb. It's fun and hard work--to really examine what we are doing each step of the way. Looking for the system.

The difference is with learning and teaching. . . . you never really finish the system. The teacher I'm working with has said a few times what I've always said in my head--"I can't believe, knowing what I know today, that I was able to successfully teach last year." Isn't that how it should be? We are never gonna completely have a "system" as much as I would enjoy that. To have a teaching system would mean that we have arrived. I hope I never arrive. The best we can do is listen and be aware. Bring it back to the music over and over and over.

The system will have to be a growth mindset. Surround yourself with excellent people and keep learning and growing. If you don't have someone who inspires you you had better keep looking and if your teacher thinks you are perfect just the way you are you had probably better keep looking some more as well

The best teaching takes you from the known to the unknown and back to the known.

Congrats to all the great Suzuki Piano teaching in the Twin Cities, and may we all continue to grow and learn every year.

Click for Link to Mary's Musette
Click for Link to Calvin's Minute Waltz

No comments:

Post a Comment