Friday, July 15, 2016

Flowers and Weeds Part Two

I received this very well thought out, kind and constructive criticism on "Seeing the Flowers Through the Weeds."

I get what she's saying and it's a nice piece. 
But what she's missing is that ignoring labels is only a privilege afforded to some people. I'm sure black people are also exhausted of being treated the way they are. But they can't choose to be non-black, ever. 

I know white people, especially in segregated areas like MN, are terrified ALL THE TIME of being considered racist. That gets tiring. It's because we don't understand what being racist is. It isn't stereotyping or generalizing. It's thinking that deep down, you are better, or that a person of color is less worthy than you as a white person. Disbelieving or ignoring minorities when they say their life experiences are different than ours is a form of racism. We aren't allowed to ignore these claims of institutional racism. 

The author is trying to avoid being racist, but that doesn't come from smiling at people or not. It comes from acknowledging that racist forces exist in our society, understanding what they are, and hopefully, acting in a way to help change things. 

Again, it's a nice piece, but we just can't shake our labels and pretend they don't exist. Remember that the root word for ignorance is "ignore".

I agree with everything this friend of a friend of a friend says. It's not about this suburban white piano teacher's feelings. It's about the age old and daily reality of the grievous stuggle that every non-white person is subject to. I'm sorry if I made it sound like racism isn't real or that it's as simple as smiling at each other. I don't feel that way. I'm not socially or politically intelligent enough to engage in a public debate.

Maybe I struggle because I actually deep in my heart do believe that we are all equally precious and valuable in God's eyes and that's so obvious to me that I'm unable to process that there are people who actually don't believe that.

Right now I'm seeing equal opportunity misbehavior everywhere I look. It's hurting my soul likes it's hurting everyone. When I think of what my black friend goes through everyday just to be thought of as a legitimate small business owner like me, I want to bawl. I do bawl.

My only disclaimer from this rebuttal? The clause "especially in segregated areas like MN." Here's where I became defensive. I cannot publish it for privacy reasons, but the class list for Mary's fifth grade room reads like a rainbow. She's one of only three white girls. The rest are ethnicities of all kinds. The beauty of this? She never even mentioned it. The kids don't even notice.

That may be the real flower in the weeds.

Sir or Ma'am who clarified those important thoughts above--I have no need to have the last word. You are 100% right. But like most things lately. . . the answer probably includes the word "and." We can take action AND keep smiling at people. We can acknowledge labels AND rise above them. We can see the privilege of our children AND work toward ensuring that privilege for every child.

I have hope.

Dr. Suzuki says "every child can" and that is the foundation of our whole Suzuki teaching system. We have our Suzuki Association of Minnesota board retreat today at my house. I put an item on the agenda--how to ensure that maybe one more child in the Twin Cities has access to music lessons regardless of their ability to pay for it. One more scholarship. Maybe ten more. It's action. It's a smile. It's a start.

"Perhaps music will save the world." Pablo Casals--cellist.





1 comment:

  1. P.S. I'm truly thankful for the above response, which was anonymously forwarded to me, as it gave me the opportunity to reflect and clarify my own personal thoughts. I was having many of the same worries, but I was not as articulate. Signing off of social media and current events for awhile. Back to pedagogy. Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete