Monday, October 31, 2016

Calvin's Confirmation






Sunday was reformation Sunday and it was also Calvin's confirmation service. It was a very lovely service. Our church had 80 confirmands and about 30 were confirmed in Calvin's service. The choir sang and at one point in the service all the people of each child were invited to come up and lay hands on him or her while the pastor offered up a personal individual prayer. Thank you, Pastor Kris, for your love of Calvin and everyone there.

One thing about being Lutheran, our faith tends to be a slow and steady burn. Like the coals in a campfire. There isn't always a burst of flame, like a born-again moment. Each person's faith evolves over time and works itself out. Still, these landmark occasions are important and special.  There isn't very much I'd rather be doing than celebrating the faith of my kid.

If there was a born again moment perhaps it was farther back. . . I don't know.  In 2008 I visited the little Catholic church, St. Michaels, in Záhori Village, where my great, great, great, great, great, great--well I don't know how many greats--grandparents worshipped and took communion in the Czech Republic. My mom and my sister and I took communion there at that same ancient rail. I felt the true meaning of the communion of saints. Generation to generation.

Calvin had eight great grandparents and four grandparents with a legacy of strong faith. He has two parents with strong faith. Aunts. A sister. A cousin. Pastors. A church. He has a cloud of witnesses, that is for sure.

God bless you Calvin, today and always.  Let your light shine. You are a blessing to me, to Daddy, to Mary, and to so many people!

Here are Calvin's verses:

Jeremiah 29:11
For surely I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for your welfare and not for harm, to give you a future with hope.

Phillippians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

And here is Calvin's prayer:

Dear God, thank you for the divine giftss of life and faith and for the people around me that help me develop these gifts. Help me to live my life to the fullest, according to your plan for me. Let me always bring joy to those around me and guide me as I continue on my journey of faith. Amen. 



1 comment:

  1. So very proud of Calvin. Sunday was a lovely day and these are lovely pictures. I think all day I was taking pictures in my mind to treasure always. What beautiful verses for Calvin and what a beautiful prayer he wrote. He definitely is living his prayer as he is a joy to all around him--much like his parents and sister.

    ReplyDelete