Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder

Off They Go Into the Wild Blue Yonder 

They Actually Went Someplace Colder for Spring Break

Ireland

Don't Jump Little Castle. . . 

This Won't Hurt a Bit

Make New Friends . . . but KEEP THE OLD 

Good Food and Good Friends--I did not say OLD friends.


I'm not going to lie. I'm not someplace warm. And I didn't go anywhere warm. I haven't really been warm since early September. Now it's spring break. 

I'm warm inside. 

We went our separate ways. Bill took Mary on the epic western tour. They started by skiing in Colorado and went on to San Francisco riding the train. Today they are off to Muir Woods. Then they will take another train along the California coast and fly home Saturday. Adventure. I can't wait to see the photos of the redwoods. It's humbling and spiritual to be with trees that are so much older and wiser than you will ever be. 

Calvin left last Thursday with the Eastview band to tour Ireland. He's photo streaming pictures and texting his journey. I was excited for him, but I didn't really understand how beautiful Ireland would be until he started sending the pictures. They are having a great time. I've been feeling very good about my decision early on to never, ever be a band director. 

My friends came to visit. We had three lovely days of girl time. In order to qualify as "girl time" there has to be too much food, a little too much wine, way too much shopping and at least one spa service. Check. Bonus points if you end up at a tattoo parlor and get your ears pierced. My new friend Nate did laugh, when I told him my mom finally let me. He was a good sport and was quite impressed with my level of calm while he free handed the ever so sterile utensil through my tender little earlobe. Nate, I'm a mom. It's gonna take a little more than this to raise my heart rate. 

All joking aside, St. Sabrina's was cleaner, more sterile and better organized than my doctor's office. I did my research. Nate also didn't try to prescribe ibuprofen to me. . .just a lollipop on the way out. 

Family time is overrated. Important, but overrated. One on one is where it's at for me. I think spending time with one kid at a time is more precious. God bless Bill for loving to travel and loving to travel with each kid. He and Calvin have taken the train and also had road trips. In a quest for sainthood Bill also took each child to Disney World, alone together. 

I get one on one time everyday. At the piano. Which is one of the reasons I love it so much. And further validation of the band director decision.  

One on one means you have my complete attention. Only you. We get to be ourselves to the best of our ability. I love the time in the car with Calvin on the way to his new lessons. I love shopping with Mary, even if we don't buy anything. I love cooking with Mary. Deep down, I think we all need to be loved alone.  

Friends. 

I think if we are paying attention, God sends us all the friends we need, when we need them. Music friends, church friends, garden friends. All serving a beautiful purpose. A safe place. 

Three or four friends make a trinity or so. . . and that's good too. It brings depth to the conversation. A constant outpouring and in pouring. Humor goes a long way. 

I'm off to Iowa tomorrow. It will only be just a little warmer there. I'm going to see my mom without my kids. One on one. Oh, I hope to see my sister and my niece too, but it will mostly be one on one. It's been a while. I'm excited. 

Saturday the Kotrbas will all reconverge and that will be good too. I'm missing them. Sitting here alone at my computer, I actually feel this tiny itsy bitsy tinge of loneliness. That doesn't happen very often. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.
I guess in a perfect world I would appreciate each moment with each person just as much as I appreciate one weekend a year with friends. Something to work on. 

One on one times. Family times. Friends. 
I'm grateful for it all. The seasons they do go round and round.
Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Lord, 
Thank you for all the people in my life. 
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment