Friday, July 20, 2018

Growth Mindset Continued. . .

That's a big smile for a 55 second piece. . . 

Calvin and Brianne tied for first place in the Chopin competition
We are wrapping up ten days of Paul Wirth's Young Artist World Piano Festival. Thank you to Paul Wirth and Olivia Young for organizing this festival--I believe this is their 29th year, but only the second year for Calvin.

He had a big week. The students audition for events on the first day. Calvin's twenty minute program of Beethoven's Op. 90, Chopin Scherzo No. 3, Chopin Butterfly Etude, and Debussy's Prelude from Pour le Piano earned him a masterclass with Andrew Staupe, a private lesson with Seymour Bernstein, a masterclass with Mr. Bernstein, and a spot on the senior honors recital.

It was such an amazing week and I set aside as much time as I could to observe the events. The students and their families become a community. I felt a genuine sense of affection and good will from everyone! The hugs and photo ops after the recital confirm this. Tristan, one of the stars of the group took time to ask Mary what repertoire she was working on and how it was going. Truly.

That's not to say that the teachers/clinicians don't have some important and possibly difficult messages to impart. Nobody is blowing hot air up anyone's skirt. Mr. Bernstein said some things to Calvin that really made him think. And the different styles of teaching masterclasses were readily visible. I'm sure there were some tears along the way. Musicians are by nature sensitive creatures and that's what we love about them. Can we ask them to be less sensitive? I told Calvin to write it all down, all the positive and any constructive criticism, remembering that teachers are human and say inconsistent things and that we can all at once trust what they say and dismiss it. We can hold it all without judgment.

To me, it all comes down to the lynch pin of the growth mindset. Mr. Bernstein kept asking the Doris Harrel questions. . . why do we do this? Why do we practice and work so hard? Why music? Why piano?

Side note--I'm in love. It's been a lovely 20 year marriage with Bill, but I'll be going back to New York with Mr. Bernstein. Seymour doesn't really know it yet. . . he might have other commitments. But, I can live in his little studio apartment in New York and make my coffee on his hot plate and water his plants or whatever he needs help with.

If that doesn't work out I'll just watch the documentary about him a few more times. And I ordered all his books to read. Books about the integration of the emotional, intellectual, and physical worlds. Life influences art. But. . . as Dr. Suzuki also made a mantra. . . our art influences our lives. What we learn at our instrument carries over into our personalities and our relationships. Don't I know it.

"It's not always about me." Parents, tattoo this on one wrist. On the other wrist tattoo "this too shall pass."  I've had the presence of mind a couple times in my life. . . when things aren't going so well at a practice session, to ask my child, "what's going on?" Instead of limping through the practice where we obviously are in a funk.  Many times I've said or done something that I didn't even really know was offensive. I need to apologize and do some contemplation. But most of the time? It's something else. He said/she said/he did/she did. It was not even about me.

Seymour said we "do this" to integrate art with our personality through the emotional, intellectual and physical . To play life more beautifully. (I'm waiting at the door for Amazon to deliver his book with that title.)

I would add that we do this for the love of learning, the love of music, and the love of the person making the music. Not necessarily in that order.

Parents, what you work through at the piano with your child. . . is what you work through in life with your child. It's the same. Praise God for the opportunity to know my children in this way. To not shut down. To never walk away.

The growth mindset. We are not fixed points. Our talent is not fixed. I learned SO much this week at the Young Artist World Piano Festival. I can't wait to practice and teach! And I learned a lot at the piano with my child and my students.

Congrats to Brianne and Calvin. Mr. Bernstein took it upon himself to grant a tie for the Chopin competition. And he brought in Ben, for a second prize player. Competitions suck until you win, right? I tell you, there is no thinking you are hot stuff in this crowd. The playing was at such an incredible level by kids from 10-17 years old. Kids who live and breath piano. You better not think about it too much. You better love the learning, love the music and love your friends.

I love my kids. I love music. I love my friends. And I love Seymour Bernstein. But. . . I'm sticking with Bill after all. It's the right thing to do. But I might get a pretty lamp for my piano, that will remind me of Seymour when I play and teach. And I might frame this picture.  Thanks again to Paul and Olivia. What a gift you have given us all.

Calvin and Seymour Bernstein after the Masterclass on Op. 90







2 comments:

  1. Love your blog! Seymour is amazing, isn't he! He was our conference clinician and I loved listening to him speak about music, art, etc. I loved his video - I loved everything about our two day experience. Maybe I could go and make his coffee and water his plants! fay Adams

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't have a chance to read this until now, Sara. In response, I will use a line from the children's book "Lily's Purple Plastic Purse" by Kevin Henkes: "Wow!" ;-) How many times have I powered through with a student when I should have asked, "What's going on?" Good call on sticking with Bill; It'd be rough to break in a new brother-in-law. If he's not married, perhaps we could set him up with our mom. Hah!

    ReplyDelete