Friday, December 14, 2018

So Much Music (Christmas Music 7, 8, 9, & 10)

Jammies from Casey

Personalized

Trust is Earned

Grandmommy is the most patient

2005 was a good year


Christmas is a great time for ankle surgery said no one ever. . . 

Not every program was delightful. . . 


Angels in the Snow 
We have been doing so much music there is no time to write about music. . .

  • Rehearsals for choral service and upcoming church stuff. . .Sara on piano, Bill clarinet and perc.  
  • Bravo Shows. . tonight is 7 of 8.  Calvin rocking the drum set and jingle bells. Saturday is the last show.  
  • Christmas Recitals last weekend. . . two with 35 guests each
  • Middle School Jazz Band Concert next Tuesday night
  • Three Choral Services this weekend
But, it's all good. The Kotrbas are a good team. Calvin starts his laundry and I finish or vice versa. And Mary picks up all the pieces. . . folding and folding. You know, when everybody pitches in and vacuums before the recitals and has a happy heart, you don't mind running the forgotten iPad to school for a test now and then. I don't even know what all my husband does, it just all gets done. My car mysteriously always seems to have gas. We all learn to be cheerful on that occasional four hours of sleep.  

#7 
Because of the piano recital. . . I have to share two of my favorite albums for students to play. 
The first is Jim Brickman's "The Gift." I bought it the year Bill and I got engaged and we listened to the "The Gift" on the way to our engagement brunch.  Students love these pieces, but they are deceptively and wickedly difficult. Mary played "Joy to the World" on the recital last Saturday and I was crazy proud of her determination to master it. Definitely post book seven stuff. I'll post links to the whole recital when I come up for air.  


#8
The other one is so cliché but hey. . . if you are gonna teach piano you are gonna have to have this on your Christmas recitals and of course it is the Vince Guaraldi Trio's "A Charlie Brown Christmas." Every single track has been played multiple times on Kotrba Christmas Recitals and because I have perfect recital memory, I remember each and every child who played them all. Again. .. rhythm is the deal here. There is no faking Linus and Lucy and you know, if it forces them to count aloud I'll take it. 


And here is Calvin's turn a few years ago. . . when we were getting the December wackies. 

#9
Kenny Logins. I can't even listen to it without bawling. I am hopeless. "Angels in the Snow." 

#10
NEW! Now that I have seen the Bravo show five times, this is becoming one of my favorites. The gals from Eastview sing it SO beautifully. And the dancers. Amazing. I wish I could link you to them, but this is a very sweet video as well. Sara Bareilles' "Winter Song."  More tissues will be required.  I'm just so moved by this song. "I'll be your harvester of light. . . " Any song with those lyrics is gonna work for me. And the house plants all grow back. . . don't worry.  

There you go. Under the busy is always the tender. And remembering what is really important. 
Happy December 14th. 
Sara 


1 comment: