Friday, March 4, 2011

Deerwood, Houston, and Chopin

This morning as I am hustling around getting ready to leave for Houston this afternoon, my heart is just so filled with love.  


I love Deerwood school.  Last night was the fourth grade musical.  Lisa Schoen does an unbelievable job preparing these children.  Every fourth grader from all three classes has a spoken part and most of them have at least one solo singing part.  Talk about every child can.  I love that our school sees the value of music to the extent that every year every class has a program, in the evening.  This means parents and kids ALL have to come back to school at 7:00 p.m..  Talk about sending a message about the importance of music in education.  (I noticed that there isn't an event where we all have to come back in the evening to watch the kids play soccer. . . ) That is not to say that they don't place an emphasis on fitness.  Our main fundraiser is Run-4-Deerwood, they kids all collect money and run around the track.  Simple and beautiful. No candy, no popcorn, no frozen buns.  I love it.  


I speak with forked tongue since I am heading up the spring plant sale fundraiser.  Plants are different. . . to me anyway.  


I love that when we drop the kids off in the morning the staff and administration are standing in the circle drive.  I am especially moved by this when the temp reaches five below.  Seeing Principal Haugen standing out there until every kid gets into the school chokes me up every time.  It is like he is taking personal responsibility that every child is safe.  It also increases appropriate behavior in the adult drivers dropping off.  I am much less likely to cut off my neighbor to get my kid to school on time with the staff watching me.  Not that I would do this--maybe it keeps Bill from cutting in line. . . 


I love that the teachers, parents, and students all seem to be on the same team, and all of us are just trying to help the kids reach their highest potential.   


I just love Deerwood Elementary.  I guess if it wasn't safe and I didn't feel like the kids were having their needs met, we would suck it up and drive to a charter school or make a budget for private school.  I am so thankful that we don't even have to think about that.  Thanks to all the teachers who give and give and give.  We are so thankful.  


I also love Houston.  I am so thankful that Bill can hold down the fort here this weekend.  I love the kids in Houston and seeing Doris, and my new teaching friends from the workshop.  I love talking with the parents there.  I also love spending an extra day to see my childhood friend, Casey.  One day is never long enough to get caught up, but with busy family life some years it is the best we can do.  


I will miss seeing Calvin and Mary and my students play in the S.A.M. recitals.  I really will.  I will miss seeing Mary get her Book One trophy.  Next year the dates are different and I will get to attend again.  That is a perk of being president elect of the S.P.T.G.  


I also love Chopin.  I got my 50 perfect repetitions.  I'm going to try to upload the video.  We'll see how it goes.  That takes a little courage you know. .. 


I also love writing.  You have probably guessed this by now.  Writing is therapeutic to me.  All warm fuzzies aside, I better get myself in gear and start packing.   


Have a great weekend and best wishes to the S.A.M. performers!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Sara! I hope you really enjoy yourself in Houston!! We all need time to catch up with loved ones that we don't see often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara, thank you thank you for your very kind words. I am just now catching up your latest blog posts and it has been such a treat to read your thoughts. Thanks for the inspiration and encouragement!

    ReplyDelete