Thursday, March 24, 2011

Short Sentences of Validation

I am reading a book called Reluctant Pilgrim, by Enuma Okoro.  She subtitles the book "A Moody, Somewhat Self-Indulgent Introvert's Search for Spiritual Community."  I am enjoying the book.  

On page 49 she writes:
"Just before my thirtieth birthday, my father died unexpectedly and I lost the ability to pray. . . . As I processed the news, the God I had clung to so desperately all these years seemed to disappear slowly and suddenly all at once.  I couldn't find God anywhere--not on my knees, not in the peace of sleep, and not in my journal musings. He was gone and I felt like I was hyperventilating in the dark."

If a graduate of Duke University Divinity School can have the bottom drop out under her faith for a little while, perhaps I was not so weak.  

Unuma Okoro has a blog at reluctantpilgrim.wordpress.com

1 comment:

  1. "We all stumble, everyone of us. That's why it's a comfort to go hand in hand."
    E.K. Brough

    ReplyDelete