Monday, January 9, 2012

Claim Your Idiosyncrasies

Paster Sarah used this phrase at the end of her sermon on John the Baptist yesterday:  Claim your idiosyncrasies and use them for God.

I was really moved by those words.

A couple months ago I was visiting with someone about some random thing and off the cuff she said--Sara you know you're really weird.  She was totally joking, but still somewhere down deep it kinda stung.

Okay, so I'm really psycho about Mozart and incandescent lights and my house and the laundry. That is the short list. . . dig deeper and you might find that I want a simple life but I keep adding all these beautiful activities and houseplants and cats which complicate things.

How much effort do we and our children expend trying to cover up our idiosyncrasies and blend in.

Claim your idiosyncrasies.  Embrace your weirdnesses.  All the unique little things about us are actually what makes us not just beautiful, but useful.  Not in the same way as our neighbor, our friend, our relatives or our mother.  In our very own way.

What a great reminder.  Be yourself.  Be your very best self.  Claim your idiosyncrasies.  Help our young people claim theirs--and use them!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sara,

    I interviewed thousands of people about their quirks and idiosyncrasies for my two humorous/human interest books:
    •Admit It, You're Crazy! Quirks, Idiosyncrasies, and Irrational Behavior
    and
    •And I Thought I Was Crazy! Quirks, Idiosyncrasies and Meshugaas

    You can imagine how many quirks I’ve acquired after interviewing so many people! And I couldn’t afford it—I had too many to begin with! I’m very qualified to work on this subject! In fact, my husband insists that if I wrote the books as autobiographies, they would have been much longer!

    Look inside the books here:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004LE7PE0
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0035WTNE4

    You will laugh while gaining insight into yourself and others!
    Judy Reiser
    http://www.judyreiser.com

    ReplyDelete