Monday, January 30, 2012

SPTG Advancing Recitals--Congrats!

Congratulations to all the students who performed in the Twin Cities Suzuki Piano Teacher's Guild's Recitals for Advancing Students.  Cassy, Alec, Aidan, Lena, Kathryn, Grace and Calvin played in these recitals on Saturday.  Sami--I'm sorry you hurt your finger and could not play--I'm so happy that you came to the recitals anyway to support your friends.  It really meant a lot to me.

I'm very proud of everybody that played on Saturday.  Cassy--you really hit the ball out of the park with your Chopin Waltz--it is fun when it goes so flawlessly.   I enjoyed Calvin's Für Elise, knowing that he made many of the musical decisions in the piece on his own. Everyone played musically and from the heart.  I'm truly glad that you all took the time to share your music!

I was thinking about my notes from last year and what about the recitals improved and what still needs attention.  I thought the piano was very tricky--kids were obviously struggling with the pedal.  I saw the foot going up and down but still heard the blur on many pieces.  It cuts to the chase of who is actually listening to the music coming out the instrument and who just practiced putting their foot up and down.  Some kids coped fine and for others it was pretty blurry.  I'm talking about all the participants--not just my kids.  As a teacher I thought about two things I need to keep working on with students:


  • Recital prep--what goes into recital prep?  Having the piece memorized a month ahead, working on perfect repetitions and performing a tryout in front of peers.  When I let down on these standards, it shows in performance confidence and results. Don't get me wrong!  I'm not suggesting that mistakes ruin a performance or that everything has to be 100% perfect to be lovely.  It sure is fun when we are super prepared and can show off instead of being a little worried.  It's not about perfection it is about the message in the music.  It is harder to express the message when we memorize at the last minute or haven't prepared thoroughly.  Everyone has a little slip now and then but it shouldn't be the rule or be distracting to the audience.  Recommit!
  • Listening skills--those students who listen carefully to the sound coming out of the piano adjusted well to the room and the instrument. Until you are rich and famous you will have to play on pianos that are tricky--there are very few instruments especially in Minnesota in the winter that will be perfectly in tune and adjusted and voiced.  We have to smile, be thankful for the folks that allowed us to use their space and listen, listen, listen.  
I believe these recitals are valuable!  Sharing advanced music inspires younger students and gives older students ideas for repertoire.  As leader of the SPTG I'm going to lobby for more students to play next year so we get to hear even more advanced music.  These are our advanced students!  This is the fruit of our labor and our method--we have to show these kids off and help them learn to prepare so they can show the world that the mother tongue approach is the best way to learn--with the goal to be comfortable, to listen well and to express the music beautifully!  I believe in this method and I believe in these kids.  

Congratulations to all the students and teachers who participated! 

No comments:

Post a Comment