Monday, August 13, 2012

Recital at the Lake 2012














Well.  I don't know exactly what to write.  We've been reliving this perfect day for thirteen years and it's coming to a close.  Steve and Linda have been hosting us--buying gas for the boat and jet ski, renting tables and chairs, buying pop, water, hot dogs, hamburgers, and all the picnic fixin's. . tuning the Steinway and cleaning brownies out of rugs for an entire generation of piano kids.  Not to mention the sand in the house. . . Jonelle has been bringing the great bean salad and I've been slicing jalapeno peppers and cilantro on that Saturday morning for the fresh salsa for a very long time.  You know I'm a sucker for tradition.  Pass the tissues. . .

Cassy and the gang will be seniors this year and next August they will be off to college.  The end of an era.  All these kids have worked so hard.  That's why I'm doing this concerto thing next weekend--to celebrate 14 years of working with this particular group.  (August 18, 2:30 at Easter Lutheran Church 4200 Pilot Knob Road, Eagan, MN in case I haven't mentioned it, tickets are $10 at the door. . . )   Maybe I mentioned it. . .

Back to the lake--I got pretty choked up during the recital portion. To be honest, it really wasn't the quality of performance--everyone's playing was pretty relaxed.  It was just that I never really dreamed that these kids would go this far together.  Now we know each other well and I know there have been some serious ups and downs, but in my heart I know that these times, these years together were something really special. These kids will look back and know that they share some of the same stories.  It started with music but the ripple has gone so much farther than an annual recital on Prior Lake.

Linda--you did it with that first invitation--to groups A,B and C in 1999.  You planted the seed that I now understand is so important--that music has to be fun and it has to be in a community.  I've learned so much from you. These kids love music and you are part of the reason why. The other part may very well be your post recital cookies, but that is another blog entry. . . Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

I have some serious thinking to do about how to serve the next generation. Socially that is. Recruiting another three-year-old on Prior Lake probably isn't a realistic option. But, there will be new traditions and new friendships. I'm sure of that. You can see in the first photo above that Sami has her hand on Elizabeth's shoulder.  That kinda says it all. The big kids are passing the torch.  There isn't a good way to close my thoughts here. . . they are wandering far away and I'm getting tender.  So, I'll just say again, I'm so thankful for this group of children and families (we missed three families on Saturday as well) and I'm just so blessed and privileged to teach each and every one of you. And please, one more thank you to Steve and Linda--thank you so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment