Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The Big Day










I'm back in the atmosphere and ready to write!

I've read that everyone who deals in artistic endeavors--and I would add anyone who teaches or is in leadership--at some point harbors the worry that their complete inadequacy will be uncovered. There might come a day when everyone will find out that we're really not that great of a musician, parent or teacher.

But at other times, forces conspire to take what little we have, with brute strength, awkwardness, and a heck-of-a-lot of organization and channel it into something really special. Something memorable and remarkable. Something where the sum is truly greater than the parts.

Such was the case for our concerto event. Seven kids each played a movement of a Bach keyboard concerto with a twelve piece string orchestra and a conductor.  From the moment Bill Henry tuned up the strings and Cassy played the downbeat of the F minor third movement I had tears in my eyes. It sounded so good. She sounded so good. They all sounded so good. I thought to myself--how could these kids possibly play this good? Each kid got about 30 minutes with the orchestra, who had never played together, and that was it. We had lunch and breaks and snacks and put on the show at 2:30.  Like always, there were some moments during the rehearsal that were more magical than the public performance, but everybody made it through and played musically and from their hearts.

This event was my dream--for the past 20 months.  It was symbolic to me.  It was symbolic of me giving these post book seven kids and the other advanced students--the best opportunity they could have.  For my own heart, I needed to give them something they couldn't get anywhere else. They deserve it and every pianist rose to the challenge.  I couldn't be prouder.

Thank you!!!!!
Bill Henry-our conductor--for knowing those scores--for making each kid feel special and for making such great music and being so positive

Diane Houser, Ginny Bement, Laura Handler, Stella Anderson, Beatrice, Sam, Christina, Miriam, Victoria, Audra, Amanda and Dominic--our ensemble

Diane Houser again--our principal violin--for countless little pieces of advice to make it run smoothly, including her genius set-up

Mary Fox--selling tickets and running the reception afterwards

Aidan--for turning pages for your friends

Easter Lutheran--we joined for the music and the message--and the music and the message continues--thanks Pastor Kevin for pouring punch--that really was above and beyond

Jonelle--paying for the lunch for everyone and cookies and cookies 

Mary Kotrba--my being my personal assistant. . . and arranging the bananas so nicely

Linda--cookies cookies and more cookies--plus drinks and chips

Reiko Imrie--for the masterclasses in July--you gave us some great ideas and insights

Calvin Kotrba--for learning that really long piece and having faith in me that I wouldn't give you something too hard. . . and for all the computer tech support--I truly couldn't have done all the paperwork without you!  

Younger studio kids--for helping out by buying raffle tickets and tickets and practice coupons

SPTG teachers--thanks for coming and for all your advice along the way!!!!!

Heart of Texas Suzuki Music Teachers--for the idea that this could be done

Bill's mom and everyone else who brought cookies

Whoever put the church all back together afterwards?  I just went in and it was done.  Thanks.  

MacPhail--thanks for loaning us the scores for the F minor and D minor--you can borrow my A major if you ever need it. . 

My husband--for jump starting the car at 9:00 Saturday morning, running audio, video and still photos all day and compiling the CD and DVD afterwards (they are almost done. . . ) and for making me feel like a princess in a fairy tale in general

Mommy--for teaching me that ANYTHING is possible--you just make a list on a white card and start checking things off. . . 

Daddy--I wish you were there--you would see that the kids played with great dynamics and from the heart--just like you taught me. . .  


1 comment:

  1. Sara- I am so proud of you and your students. We all are. And Daddy has tears of joy in his eyes- like he always did.

    We love you.

    ReplyDelete