Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Making the Most of Summer

When we look back upon the summer of 2012, I think we can safely say that we made the most of it.  Right up until yesterday at 5:00 when we got back from Bill's folk's cabin.  Bus number what?  Locker combination what?  Drop up and pick time and location what?

It went okay for both kids today.  It was Calvin's first day of middle school--6th grade.  Mary's first day of second grade.  Calvin is bummed to have to be in a book club.  Why would we want to read a book with someone else?  Mary loves her teacher.  No big surprises.

Best and worst parts of the summer?

Mostly there were only best parts--we hit the ground running--leaving for my mom's the last day of school.
VBS.
Honors recitals in Beaver Creek.
Switzerland.  Birthdays.
Bill played in church. Calvin played in church.  Mary played at my mom's church.  Calvin played. . .
Susan and Savannah stayed here for a nice week.
4th of July party.
Cookouts with friends.
Ropes courses. . . cabin trips. . . strep throat. . . painting camp.

Did I mention Bill not working since June?

An awesome reunion weekend with my grade school girl friends.
Teaching.
 MacPhail camp--that was a tricky week--with the kids going and me teaching. It may have taken my organizational skills to the limit and that is saying quite a bit.

Flopsy the bunny.
Flopsy's vet bills.

A nice visit with my mom.
Both kids had a nice long stay individually with my mom and Mary also got to stay at the cabin with Bill's folks.
The state fair.
The concerto event.
The recital at the Erickson's.
A dear friends' wedding.

Yes, I can safely say we made the most of it.  And I was there.  For the most part, remarkably stress free.  There were a few days where I flailed.  And the garden didn't fare so well.

But, now, to continue that calm mindful feeling into Fall. . . that will be the trick.

Dr. Suzuki suggests that we teach a one point lesson.  That focus can be taught.  I was off to a great start with Calvin this morning, just working on left hand finger numbers on the Daquin Cuckoo.  Do one task and do it well.

Perhaps the best way to teach awareness and attention to our children is to model it to the best of our ability in our daily lives.  I bought four books on mindfulness.  I've started them all. . .

Dr. Suzuki would probably have recommended that I only read one book at a time but. . . he wasn't a working mother with two kids and a house and garden trying to get ready for choir practice, five Fall birthdays and a Dalcroze workshop.  I have to fit in this mindfulness between gymnastics practice and homework and teaching.

It's gonna take all four books to help me do one thing at a time.

I hope this is making you laugh just a little. . .
Happy first day of school kidos!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment