Monday, September 10, 2012

Peace, Love & Nature








We're back from our annual camping trip with Kris, Dan, Annika and Amelia.

It started out with me panicking when Bill Henry asked me where we were going camping and who we were going with. I froze. He was substituting for me on piano with the choir on Sunday. Is is a sin to miss church if you are camping with the pastor?  It's just that it was the first Sunday of the choir season. I felt so guilty. Just some friends. . . I mumbled with my eyes looking downward.

Then came the packing. . . and finally. . . the arrival at dusk to hurriedly set up camp before the sunset.

Yes, camping with friends.  Camping is just about as close as you get to heaven, I think. The kids are free. No electronics. No TV. I forget each year how much I love it. Peace. Love. Nature. The kids made fairy houses and explored the entire area. Calvin twice fell in the lake fully clothed. I ate a shameful amount of ruffles and french onion dip. The colors were vivid-the blue sky, the slightly golden changing leaves, the clearwater of the Wisconsin lake. I felt so filled up with love for nature, for God, for my family and our friends.  It wasn't just because I was camping with the pastor.

My Grandpa Gene, my dad's dad, wrote these words in his self-published book Long Creek and Beyond:

Some of you may be offended if I use the word "Nature" where you would use the word "God".
I do not do it flippantly.
I have searched diligently, in churches and fields, and find a dividing line elusive. 

Grandpa Gene, 
I couldn't agree more. I feel the closest to God when I'm closest to His creation. Thank you for writing about nature and passing on your love for the outdoors. 

P.S. I'm sorry I lied about camping with the pastor.  


2 comments: