Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Dalcroze 2012

Congratulations to all the students who participated in the Dalcroze workshop with Jeremy Dittus!  We had a great time.  The weekend started off with master classes at my house Friday night.  Eight students including Calvin, Mary, Cassy and Alec from my studio worked with Jeremy. He found musical ways to enhance the rhythm of all the pieces and even made Mary's piece into a story about her bunny!  Alec's Chopin had some fancy polyrhythms which opened the door to some great rhythmic work--Jeremy asked us ALL to participate, even the non-musical moms. . .

Saturday was all rhythm all day! We had four student classes plus a teacher class. Jeremy had us all working hard.  I definitely had sore muscles on Sunday from all the exercise.

We got a ton of new ideas for groups and teaching rhythm, but to me, a large part of the inspiration comes from just being around someone like Jeremy who is so energized and enthusiastic about what he does.  He lives and breaths music, emotion and rhythm.  When you are around someone who is so excellent at what he does it lifts everyone up.  He was still penciling out different ways to think about three against four at my kitchen table Saturday night.  I woke up in the night dreaming of rhythm.

I love how great teachers craft a lesson so that time just flies by and at the end you realize there was this very organized yet organic plan that built concepts and left us with a specific skill--yet the whole thing looks completely improvised.  When you see the lesson plan printed out you can't believe it.  I appreciate that level of teaching.

Jeremy tolerated us Kotrbas very well--he had to make his own eggs Saturday morning as I scurried around with last minute details and getting the kids going.  He helped Mary work on her front handspring--he used to be a competitive gymnast.  (Don't you just hate people who are good at so many things. . . )  And he sat at the kitchen table with the scores and listened to the Bach concerto recordings from my studio--really listening--long after my head was drooping.  

Last night I went to bed at 8:00, even before the kids. . . they got to tuck me in for a change.  I was one tired gal, but it was worth it.  So--thanks to all the kids and teachers who participated, and mostly thanks to Jeremy for flying here and working so hard!  I'm so glad we got to have a Dalcroze weekend.






1 comment:

  1. Awesome master great Tips Thanks for share awesome post with us ...

    ReplyDelete