Monday, October 8, 2012

Monday at the Office


Today Bill starts his new job.
It's not with Delta--I just don't have any pictures of his new office.
He's going to work for Regis.  He'll be working at their headquarters in Edina.  He'll be helping them to optimize their revenue.  He's very excited and I'm excited for him too.

It's been over three years since we had anything like a normal routine around here.  Even longer if you take it back four years to him commuting to Atlanta when Delta acquired nwa.

I'm not exactly sure what to expect. His work with his last company turned into him traveling almost every week.  If he had known that, perhaps he thinks he might as well have continued to commute to Altanta with Delta and we still could have had our flight benefits.  Hindsight is 20/20.  BUT, now we know what it is like to have him work from home. . .

My mother in law has a saying--for better or worse but not for lunch. . . to be completely honest there were more than a few moments where having the both of us work from home was tricky.  Yeah.  There's only so much room in my brain, I need what little mental space I have.  Bless his heart.

But, the grass is always greener.  Now that he'll be gone every day I'll miss our morning walk/jogs.  And him dropping the kids at school.  And the other little perks of working at home and being flexible.

I'm thankful that he found a job.  I know there are more than a few folks out there who are struggling.  I don't take that for granted.

There are a few minor issues. . .
I just wonder if the folks who hired him took note of the fact that he has very little hair.  I wonder what will happen when they find out that his wife gives him his hair cut every Sunday night.  With a clippers.  They might find that hypocritical. And. . . how is his airline pricing background going to match with the salon industry?  I'm worried that when I go to get a haircut now, they are going to charge me to keep my purse behind the counter.  I'm worried there will be a $50 fee to change my appointment.  I don't know if I can make an appointment for a haircut 90 days out, even for a reduced rate.  I'm worried it will cost extra to sit in a comfortable barber chair. Will I have to get a first class hair cut if I want that cup of coffee when I get there?  Worst of all--will I have to book a Saturday night stay to get the price I'm used to paying?  I can't give up a whole weekend for a haircut.  And lastly, let's just be completely honest here, discounts on shampoo are not going to be as glamourous at free flight benefits.

I'll take the shampoo discount.  I'm glad to be in a new chapter.  I'm happy for him, I'm happy for me (though I will miss him a little at lunch) and I'm happy for the kids--that most nights they will get to kiss their daddy goodnight.

So Bill--blessings to you as you start a new journey with a new company and a new cast of characters.  I pray that you will bless the people around you.  I pray that you will make a difference there, not just in the bottom line but in the lives of the people of that company.  I pray that this will be a job that supports our family, not just with money for living, but with a routine that aligns with our value system.  I know this is possible.  Calvin has the sign on his bedroom door: through Christ all things are possible. I know this is true. You can make a difference in the world and still be your very best self, husband and father.  I love you, I'm proud of you! Good luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment