Thursday, January 24, 2013

In the Bleak Midwinter

How am I grouchy. . . let me count the ways.

It barely got above freezing all week.  The low was negative fifteen. It's hard to get warm.  My thoughts of a year of spiritual margin are completely derailed. Train wreck with casualties. The little box cars on the calendar fill in so easily. Chugga-chugga NEW EVENT.  Next thing you know you're stuck half way up the mountain with no helper engine in sight.

The kids were home two days this week for god knows what and then Mary was sick two days as well.  I'm kidded out and I'm sure they've had enough of me as well. I spent every spare minute working on the SAM stuff.  Wednesday my husband gets home in time for a three minute family dinner before I leave for choir. Myriad other irritating details of the week too boring to relate. To add insult to injury the cats just sleep all day.

I called my mother to vent.  She was in a funk too and we simultaneously realized it's just that time of year. The bleak midwinter. I forgot to take my sunshine vitamin D tablets and with Mary home I missed my exercise classes this week.  A couple nights of five hours of sleep.  How quickly we can spiral down in the dark sub-zero days.  Even the people we love the most are in our faces.  Thwarting my margin.

I had a list of midwinter emergency enlightenments on my old phone.  Mary deleted it this weekend replacing it with a list of alliterated friendly fabulous fairy foods. The only solution on both lists was chocolate. I did my share by having four cheerful chocolate chip cookies for breakfast.

Some days you are just gonna be in a funk.  I guess the important thing is not to stay there for too long. There are several versions of our stories. Our realities are usually not as dramatic as the screen play versions in our heads. Things are never as bad on paper.  Sometimes it helps to write it down.  It's helping me right now.

The other low hanging midwinter fruit?  Sleep. Exercise. Laughter. Chocolate. Love.
Tomorrow I'm going to do a little of all of it.  My story is pretty blessed. We are all pretty blessed.







1 comment:

  1. Don't you hate that when your list of midwinter emergency enlightenments gets deleted by Fabulous Fairy Foods? I HATE that!

    Not to be a one-upper, but my principal kindly made coffee for me in the office when I dragged in at 6:30pm with another hour of conferences left to go. So as a result (It was strong coffee and I combined it with an emergency bag of king size moms) on the way to Suzette's house to spend the night, I had to run in ahead of Alexa and Suzette to throw up on-time. I'm not used to the coffee/king size bag of mnm thing. It's been Hell week. Set the alarm for 2:30 am Friday morning to meet deadlines. Left for NS at 6:00am. Missed the two-hour late start text but got to it on the way to North Scott..... I could continue but you get my general drift.

    Hey, If you ever make a new list of Midwinter Emergency Enlightenments, send me a copy so you've got a back-up. And I could use them, too.

    Here's an Emergency Enlightenment: Do you have ANY idea how much you are loved? Think about it. Now multiply it by infinity! And that's just by ME!

    ReplyDelete