Wednesday, January 2, 2013

New Year's Resolutions




As I was tucking Calvin in last night I saw a paper on his bureau.  I asked what it was.  It was his New Year's Resolutions.  Hmmm.  I'm not a huge resolution person but I asked to read it.

Wow.  I'm not going to tell you all his thoughts, and I asked him if I could write about this, but. . .
I was so impressed.  All the things he wrote were really cool.  Number one was "be nice to Mary."  Number two was "less technology--more time outside and playing/reading."  Number three "do a devotion every day." All on his own he came up with a dozen ideas for the new year.

I often worry that there's too much ipad, youtube, youpad, ipod hoopla in our lives.  Okay, maybe substitute nag for worry. Seeing that list fueled the little flame of trust in my heart. The most important things in life don't need a charging cable. And, a kid might realize that on his own without being given 24 minutes of "nook" time and 14 minutes of Mine-craft a day.

So, Calvin, you're on your own.  No limits.  Family rules still apply--no TV during the week.  No unauthorized yucky games.  No online privacy.  No closed doors.  I get first dibs on my own computer.  Short of that I'm trusting you with your time.  That is, after piano, band, jazz lesson, chores and school work.  Knock yourself out.  Watch every online youtube tutorial of bygone apple operating systems that you like.  It's going to be okay.  I trust you.

One small thing. . . those really awesome headphones that you got from Grandma and Grandpa?
Use them.


No comments:

Post a Comment