Sunday, February 24, 2013

A Cloud of Witnesses

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge cloud of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up.  And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. . .  Hebrews 12. . . 

This was a verse posted on Easter's Facebook page. I printed it out Saturday around noon. I was thinking about how I am susceptible to competitive thoughts and when exposed to excellence occasionally my defenses kick in and I start wondering if I'm pushing my kids hard enough. Are they practicing enough? Are they getting a good education? Are they strong enough in their faith? I don't want to look back and wonder if I should have been stricter or pushed a little harder or put more thought into the plan for my kids, or. . . worked less.

But when I read that verse, it struck me that maybe God wants us to surround ourselves with people of excellence and people who challenge us and challenge our thinking. Maybe we are all here to push each other just a little bit. To inspire each other. Not to be better than anyone else. To be our very best selves.

Every time I share stories with parents, I remember how we are all on the same journey. We are in a sense, a cloud of witnesses to support each other.

Then we were stopped at a stop light Saturday night and a car rear ended us going very fast and the driver was drunk and his car was completely smashed up to his windshild--totaled. Smoking and leaking fluids. Drivers education video material. We were knocked into the stopped truck in front of us. Calvin, Bill and I were fine. Shook up. The jeep barely scathed. Within ten minutes, there was a different cloud of witnesses. State Patrol. Eagan Police. Eagan Fire. My phone was ringing with 911 dispatchers. But, first, before all that, there were these two first responder type guys. Bill had run off after the driver--who fled the scene. I was pointing where they went, telling the first responder and I expected that he would run after Bill and the drunk driver.  But he didn't. He stayed there with me.  He had a yellow vest on and some random facial hair, but he just kept asking if I was okay, if Calvin was okay.  If the pick-up car driver was okay.  He made me get back in the jeep and stood there directing traffic, checking back with me every minute or so. Then the fire department was there and the state patrol came back with Bill, they had apprehended the driver, and the Eagan Police were everywhere. And the angel with the vest and the facial hair was gone. I had the fleeting thought that I wished he would have hugged me and said goodbye. I guess that would have been above the call of duty.

Mary Lynn came and picked up Calvin and met little Mary at home. She had been at a friend's.  Bill and I stayed for the paper work and Bill had to I.D. the driver. The jeep limped home and we all sat on the couch. The drunk driver's car was put on a flat bed and impounded. He went to lock-up.

We are surrounded by a cloud of witnesses. Some of them are parents supporting and encouraging their kids the best they can, some are public servants in vehicles flashing very bright lights, some write little supportive notes on Facebook and some are looking down on us and protecting us. Some show up and take our kids home. Some have yellow vests and facial hair.

Sitting on the sofa with one kid in each arm Saturday night, suddenly it no longer mattered if we have the right guitar teacher or the right gymnastics program or how many hours a day we are practicing. We were just all there together. I guess that's why we are here. For each other. To share. To push each other when we need it. To listen to our stories. And listen again. To keep on showing up. To love each other.  So--thanks for being in my cloud.


No comments:

Post a Comment