Thursday, March 7, 2013

Weathering the Storm part two. . .

Calvin's Take Home Folder--in sharpie

Calvin and the principal this morning at Panther Pride Breakfast

Anna Karenina. . . 
This morning was the Panther Pride breakfast and award ceremony at the middle school.  A hundred or so 6th, 7th and 8th grade kids got commended for academics and leadership.  Congrats Calvin!

I'm also super proud of you for showing your faith at school, especially at an age where that might not be such a popular thing to do.

Yesterday I had to stop by the bookstore for a birthday party gift and yes, I went ahead and picked up Anna Karenina. All 803 pages of it. It will probably travel the world in my carry on bag along with the Jane Austen with the spine un-cracked.  I don't care. It's $8.00 worth of hope.

I'm also signing up for the teacher practicum this summer. I'm so excited. We bring video of our teaching and the trainer and the other participants give constructive criticism.  Caroline Frasier is one of my favorite teachers so I'm very happy for the opportunity. It's a full registered SAA class, which will take me closer fulfilling every possible educational opportunity with them.

I want to apologize to Bill. I really respect how hard he is working and I really want to be on the same team and be there for him, like he is always there for me. I'm sure there are many Saturday and Sunday mornings where he is wishing I wasn't leaving the house for a day of workshops and recitals. So, Bill, I appreciate you and I'll do the best I can to pick up the slack.

Lastly, I dropped my car off at the body shop. When you drop off a 2013 vehicle for major collision repair there is a look in their eyes.  I've seen that look before--at the doctors office with my dad. They are all at once full of pity and yet they are in some meager way trying to fill you with hope. It'll be just like new. . . . but they don't really look you in the eye.

Well, I declined the rental car. I mean, why should we rent a car when there is a perfectly drivable muscle car sitting idol in the garage?  I know the Challenger doesn't cut through snow banks like the jeep but it will certainly get me across town through the mud and crud. It has the same hemi after all.   Also, I was so excited about Calvin's award this morning, I went ahead and put the "Panther Pride, Student of the Month" bumper sticker on the back chrome bumper. It's look just swell.

Smile.  I'm not mad at my husband anymore, but I still have to give him a little grief.  I'm not going to drive his Challenger.  I'll save the bumper sticker for the scrapbook.

Last night we spent an hour just going over the calendar for the next three months.  It's all good.  I'm gonna head up and dig further into the Beethoven Hallelujah for Easter right now.  One piece at a time, one section at a time.  One task at a time.  And someday. . . one page of Anna Karenina at a time.



1 comment:

  1. Sorry, I only had time to skim this. Just wanted to say, "Great minds think alike!" Savannah is eligible to get her driver's permit but has yet to get behind the wheel. So- (and this is genius....sometimes things just come to me)) what better way for her to learn than in Bill's Challenger. When she is practicing that first drive, she will be much less likely to make mistakes, get into fender benders, or even full-on collisions if she is driving such a beautiful car. I know, right? I think "we" really need to put that baby to more use, otherwise it's like that beautiful dress that was always too good to wear and then that lady died and had never worn it. ;-) Goodness, I almost forgot. Tell Bill, "You're Welcome."

    ReplyDelete