Thursday, March 28, 2013

Gator Girl

Congratulations, Cassy, upon your acceptance into the University of Florida.  I'm so proud of you.
For fifteen years, I've seen you every week, and a little part of me will be going with you. . . in spirit at least.

I'm not sure exactly how we are going to make it through this Spring set of recitals. I can barely type the blog. I'm a wreck. Watching seniors go is always a big deal.  But, I'd be lying if I didn't confess that this group is special. That's because they started together with me when they were three-years-old.   Yesterday I got a call from the mom of a boy who will be three this May. She wants to start in the Fall. It seemed kinda circle of life-ish and I took the time to spend a while with her on the phone.  Co-incidence?

Back to Cassy. She was accepted as a piano major and she is also hoping to take some accounting courses.  I'd also be lying if I didn't confess that it is a major feather in the cap of Suzuki Piano to send a few of these kids off to study music.

However, that is never our goal.  Our primary goal is always to develop the hearts of these kids and secondarily to foster their love of music along the way. To raise good kids who love music.

I'd say we succeeded on all fronts. With all four of these kids, these seniors, and all the ones who have gone before as well. They all tell me they still play. They compose music. They sing in choirs. They pull out the Chopin when they have a bad day.

What about their parents?  Well, I've learned so much along the way.  Cassy's mom? (I'll focus on her today since this is her entry. . . ) Linda only ever wanted to make it fun.  Bruegger's Bagels after every lesson. The best cookies in the world after every recital. About 1999 she started inviting the studio over for an afternoon of lake activities. She served more junk food than I can stomach.  The kids loved it. In all these years I've never once heard Linda say anything negative about Cassy's actual piano playing. She made scrap books (how many volumes now?) with every recital program. She served shrimp at every graduation recital. An occasional glass of champagne for the grown-ups as well. . . She made it a big deal, somehow without ever pushing the performance aspect.  Linda is not a musician, I believe she barely followed Cassy through Book One. She was always over the top generous with me, as a teacher. Flowers on our anniversary, and cookies, popcorn and caramel apples with every season. She sent Cassy the message that our teachers are important. This experience is important.

Cassy's dad? Well among countless other things, he trusted me when I suggested that they buy the best piano they could afford and fix it up as they could.

Are they perfect? Of course not. Cassy has had her practicing ups and downs like EVERYONE else.
I'm sure there are more ups and downs yet to come on the journey. Being a music major is not an easy road. You have to be grounded and know who you are.  I know who she is, and I think she knows who she is, but I'm gonna keep reminding her for a while just in case.

There is a phrase I love, to whom much is given, much will be expected. That applies to all of us, but it reminds me of Cassy too.

I'm also thinking that means it means a little more practicing the next two months. . . .

Congratulations, Cassy!  Go show those Gators you know how to play the piano!

No comments:

Post a Comment