Monday, November 11, 2013

Comfort Ye



A weekend at home. Oh, the preseason calm. A fire in the the fireplace, meatloaf in the oven. Cue the Handel's Messiah.  Acceptable pre-advent music.

These photos are of my number one Christmas lighting assistant. Years ago, I gave up on Bill helping me with the outdoor Christmas lights. As newlyweds I dreamed of my dude on a ladder tweaking the icicles with little finishing nails. The little evergreens would be decked and he would flip the switch with a countdown.

Instead I got frozen fingers standing outside for hours and a stream of profanity that even the richest hot cocoa would not melt. Darkness shall cover the earth.

I learned that to preserve the season's spirit I would need to take over the Christmas lights. By myself.

It's not that Bill is sitting around watching football. We all have different gifts.

Fast forward twelve years and I have the world's best helper. Armed with a $10 fix it tool, there is nothing this kid can't do. We put the lights up laughing all the way. It's just like I always dreamed. And when half the string goes out just after you get the dang thing hung--he fixes it--just like that. Tidings of comfort and joy! Speak ye comfortably to Jerusalem.

Thanks to Calvin, the lights are done. Except maybe one more tree we will add. . . every valley shall be exalted. We had a great day. The People Who Walked in Darkness have around 4000 lights.

Why on November 9th? Because it was fifty degrees and we had the time. See blog entry titiled "All Aboard the Christmas Train." I've been blogging for awhile now and I see the patterns. See also "Skipping the Meltdown." I have had a couple memorable entries. The pre-holiday excitement which turns to panic and the light which turns to darkness. The For Until Us A Child is Born turns to I'll Have a Blue Christmas. It's coming and there is no turning back. It's all good--the recitals, the pageants, the Christmas tea, the choral services, the wrapping, the travel. . . time is a crazy thing--to the kids it seems like forever counting down to Christmas but I started breathing heavy about October 15. That's when I bought the kid's Christmas outfits. Yeah. I did.

Oh Thou that Tellest Good Tidings to Zion. . . behold, this year will probably be the same. But maybe not. . . every year I get marginally wiser.  Like the refiner's fire. . . the eyes of the blind shall be opened. His yoke is easy.

Part One of the season?  Calvin's Book Six Graduation Recital. Sunday November 24, at 3:00 at our house. Everyone is invited. He's playing K. 545 and K. 330, Bach, Scarlatti, a Chopin group and Dr. Gradus and Gollywog's Cakewalk. It's a big program. I'm super proud of him. He's really taking ownership of his musicality, I couldn't be happier for him. He's gonna end with Linus and Lucy from the Charlie Brown Christmas.  We will have brie and carrot cake and lingonberry punch. We shall feed the flock. . .

Rejoice Greatly.  It's going to be a lovely season.







No comments:

Post a Comment