Monday, December 16, 2013

I Hate to Brag. . . but. . .

The Torch has Been Passed

The New Students Pass the Baking Audition.  That is a joke. . . 



Each Link of the Chain is a Perfect Repetition--All the Children's Work Shows
I've seen so much good music in the last weeks, I'm just overflowing with admiration for all these young people.  I know it's not the Lutheran way to brag, but if we don't give these kids some credit someone else will!  Studios, churches and schools all over town are brimming with great performances this season--but I'm partial to the ones in my circle!  Here is a short list of the great things I've seen and heard about!

Sami accompanied a small group vocal ensemble at the Eagan High Encore show! Bravo, Sami, you looked lovely and played beautifully and I was super proud of you! I know it feels weird to be on the jumbo-tron but you never flinched!

Mary sang in the Da Capo concert at Deerwood Elementary!  Congrats again to Lisa Schoen and Roxane Sipe! I know the miracle it takes to get 100 children focused and singing so beautiful and in harmony with expression!  Thanks also to Principal Haugen for joining in as guest soloist.  I hope you know the message you are sending to these kids!  Music is for everyone and incidentally it's also really cool.

Aidan got to play drum set at the Luther College Christmas music festival--with the top jazz ensemble there. . . as a freshman I might add.  Congrats Aidan!

Annika, Calvin, and Mary and Amelia entertained the Lutheran ladies at the Christmas Tea--beautiful singing and playing!  Calvin has already made over $250 for Feed My Starving Children with the sales of his Christmas CD "Christmas Magic." Calvin and Annika will be performing at the Christmas Eve service at the Lake.

Solomon has also been invited to sing a solo at his church on Christmas Eve.  No more hiding your voice from me at group lessons, Solomon. . .

Cassy is learning the ropes as a piano major/Gator girl down in Florida. Congrats on your first semester!

Calvin performed his Book Six graduation program for an audience of over thirty.  Thank you to the friends, colleagues, teachers and relatives who came out to support him.  I'm the mother. . . but I loved it.  I was so proud.  He was really comfortable and musical on the entire 56 minute program. . . which I might add was longer and more difficult than my junior college recital. Yeah. Congrats Calvin.

Twenty-two kids from the studio played here on Saturday for a record audience of 64. I just have to say that every child did such a lovely job. It's really the highlight of my whole year. Everyone plays a classical piece and a Christmas or other piece of their choice. The four new four-year-olds were just about too cute to listen to and they were a good audience too. Was I surprised that Cassy, Grace, and Aidan came back from college to crash the party? With cookies this good who can stay away. It was good to see them.

It isn't our goal to raise professional musicians.  It is our goal to raise kids who love music and play at a very high level.  This is one of the reasons I have a Christmas recital--to give kids a chance to pick non-classical music that they love.  I wonder if, in twenty years, Mary will be taking out Clementi Op. 36, No. 1 or Do You Hear What I Hear?  I think I can guess. Here is a link to her first song with pedal. Disclaimer: this may only interest you if you are the grandparent, aunt or God-mother of the girl: Link

I invited Stefanie to come back and sing with Kathryn, her sister who is a senior, and Mary. Annika was going to sing too but was at the funeral of a family friend.  I like to put something different at the end of a recital sometimes--like some vocal music. Very few of us will go forth as concert pianists, but many will have the opportunity to accompany or sing in community and church ensembles. This gives us a taste of that and plus I just really like it.  Here is a link to Night of Silence: Link 

And. . . Blackhawk Middle School Jazz Ensemble. . . who played. . . you guessed it. . . at the Mall of America over lunchtime 10 days before Christmas.  I sold my soul to gain a parking spot and actually enjoyed the three-quarters of a mile jog around the cloverleaf shaped metropolis arriving just in time to see the number that Calvin played drum set on. Note exaggeration and meager attempt to hide sarcasm. I pouted a little at first, but once I got there it was really cool to see the kids to play between the giant three story Christmas trees (note that they are still called Christmas Trees here in Minnesota).  These are the moments we prove our love to our children.

I'm sure I have forgotten some kudos--the Easter Lutheran Choir and Handbells Ensemble--wow! I feel totally blessed to get to play with the choir and the orchestra in those performances.  It was very special.

There was a devotion about letting our lives be a mirror of Christ's light.  These kids and choirs and teachers are shining like the Christmas star.  Congrats to everyone and I'll say it again, Merry Christmas.








No comments:

Post a Comment