Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Good Hair Day

"Good Hair Day"
It's here. It's available. Thanks to everyone so far who has purchased a print from Mary for $10. Some of you live out of town and I'll be sending yours as time permits. So far she has about $200 pledged for Feed My Starving Children.

Mary is nine and made this painting in art class at Deerwood Elementary. Folks seemed to respond to it, so I've had 50 prints made. She's signing them and numbering them and asking for a donation.

This weekend we recorded pieces for the Colorado Suzuki Institute. The institute has solo honors recitals and about 16 kids per session are selected to play. Mary did good on her video of Clementi's Vivace from Op. 36, No. 1. Like all kids, she's a complicated girl. She really wanted to make a beautiful recording and it wasn't hard for her.  Much easier than practicing. I don't mind if she gets selected or not. Every mother knows it's a mixed blessing to do this sort of thing. Calvin played Happy Farmer there when he was younger and Mary played Melody two years ago. I thought I might never be able to teach either of those pieces again and usually I'm not easily burned out on pieces.  But. . . there is a limit. Especially with an A, A, B. A', B, A' form which BOTH OF THOSE PIECES HAVE!

Deep breath. Come to think of it, they are both Schumann aren't they. You know he had some personality issues. . .

Mary is beautiful inside and out. She thinks about other people and their feelings. She cries herself sick over Barrington Bunnies.

Mary is messy. She eats with her mouth wide open. She interrupts. Her room is a ticking time bomb of trinkets and color and animals and a million completely precious objects. Heaven help me when one of them gets lost.

Mary is slow. At conferences. . . surprise. . her teacher told me she's a good girl, but always the last out of the coat bay and the last to get shoes on and the last to get in line for lunch and the last to finish lunch, last to the bus. . . . you get my point. She lingers longer.

This is all well and good when you're on vacation. Day to day it can drive you mad. Especially if you drink the copious amounts of coffee that I do. When I drop her off at school in the circle drive, I have to stop the car and tell her it's time to get out. By the time she has her stuff and opens the car door to actually get out, the line has moved so far forward that people behind me are stuck and I have to move the car forward in the cue and then we start all over, Mary get your stuff and move toward the door.  We're at the end of the circle. She blows me one more kiss and never looks back.

She's a complicated girl. You can see why, with so much going on in that hair of hers. When I linger longer, when the clock isn't ticking and I can just sit back and watch the girl, who can't play a sight reading piece without singing along, why would I count when I can sing?. . . then I have a glimpse of all the colors and shapes and patterns, with earrings and glasses and food on her face, that make up the mind of the girl with the Good Hair Day.

P.S. If you would like to order a print, email me at sskotrba@comcast.net. They are very nice and will cheer you up when you feel blue! They are 13x19 inches with a white border.  

No comments:

Post a Comment