Thursday, April 17, 2014

The Cold Never Bothered Me Anyway




It's April 17 and it's 30 degrees and it's snowing.

Let the storm rage on. . . 
the cold never bothered me anyway. 

If you are one of the thirteen people who haven't seen the Disney movie Frozen, you will not get that joke.  It's from the lyrics to the obsessively popular soundtrack.  Here's a link just in case you want to be in on the joke. . . (link to Frozen song)

I caught my husband singing it last weekend.

A four year old student's mom came in humming yesterday.  I looked at her and asked. . . are you singing Let it Go?

Stop. Put the Suzuki CD back in the player.

Yeah.

Calvin did a little gig this week. He played solo piano for a couple little main street pep rallies for Blackhawk Middle School, to fire everyone up for. . . you guessed it. . . the MCA tests.

Growing up we did not have a pep rally to take the Iowa Test of Basic Skills.

An ISD 196 teacher sang a parody. . . to the Let it Go tune. . .
"I've had my rest
I've had breakfast
I'm here to do my very best"

Don't gag. Aren't you glad you'll be singing that all day too, now?

So Calvin was warming up Wednesday morning to play that very same iconic tune for day two of the testing. . . and here is my confession: I got goose pimples. Hearing my son totally jamming out and singing "Let it Go, Let it Go. . . "  at the top of his lungs I had tears in my eyes.

We all like Fur Elise, because it's beautiful. It just is.
We all like "Let it Go" because it's a great song.  It's a great song about being ourselves and not putting a mask on for anyone. Not being afraid to use our powers to their fullest. Not holding back to please anyone. Be your very best self.

While I was thinking about this--everyone being themselves--I did suggest to Calvin that maybe he should unbutton the top button of his white polo shirt for the gig.  Elsa did. . .

But, he didn't.

Let it go.

Just because I spent the better part of my adolescence doing everything in my power to not be a nerd doesn't mean that he should follow that path.

Apparently letting go doesn't have to mean changing into a sexier dress and letting your hair down at the same time. I love the video, but it is something to think about. Anyway, Calvin didn't subscribe. Good for him. You can jam out to Pharrell Williams and Katy Perry without getting a tattoo or inserting any four letter words. It's just fine in navy blue shorts and a white polo buttoned all the way up with your silver cross necklace peaking through.

I don't care, what they're going to say. . . 

I like that. Here I stand and here I'll stay will serve you well.

Elsa, thanks for the song. Put on some clothes, and could you send Minnesota a little warmth? We're kinda done with the whole Frozen theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment