Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Collaborative Thoughts


It's Mary's first formal ballet class. I had to learn to get a yard of hair into a solid bun. I hope she loves it. The dancing not the hair. I'm pointing my toes vicariously through her. I accompanied ballet classes in college and even traded out some piano playing for a few lessons. It didn't really work--I needed Suzuki Ballet.

I have had three weeks off--planning next year and puttering in the garden. Next week the real deal starts. The routine. Calvin got his lower braces on last night and his eyes dilated at the eye exam afterwards--I might have overdone the whole efficient Mama thing but the offices are on the same side of town. . .

Here is some cool stuff--I'm all about collaboration right now. Our Suzuki Piano Teachers' Guild has at least three awesome clinicians coming to work with us and our kids--Irina Elkina, Paul Wirth and Kathryn Ananda-Owens. Thanks Suzanne for linking us with these inspirational pianists! It's going to be a great year.

The next thing--I am starting a blind four year old this Fall and I am super excited--as I am for all the adorable little ones. But, I do want help. I had a lovely phone conference with Debra Hernstrom from Iowa City at the Pruecil School. She is an expert in Braille music and resources. Thanks also J.B. for your insight earlier this summer! The child is planning to go to Deerwood Elementary--so that is another cool possible collaboration--as I'm in love with Mrs. Schoen and all the music and teachers there. Admittedly biased toward the wonderful Deerwood Elementary.

Another new student--equally as adorable at three--has string player parents. Suzuki strings. We are all excited about studio collaborations and chamber music. Our next concerto/chamber music event is May 30, 2015 at Easter Church. Admittedly biased toward Easter Church. And three year olds.

Finally--I had a great text chat today with my friend Chris Liccardo from New York. He's a sought after Suzuki clinician and both his children have taken the musical road. His son is a concert pianist and his daughter a concert violinist. Surprise, surprise, they love chamber music and have done some workshops. As president elect of the Suzuki Association of Minnesota, I would love to plan a chamber music focussed tenure--I really hope the group will be open to bringing in some folks like this and bringing the pianists and strings and guitars, harps and recorders for that matter--together. Piano is a lonely business.

We have a great Suzuki community. Everyone we meet has something to share. Having never picked up a violin, I'm super unqualified to take the helm of the S.A.M. come Fall 2015. But--I know a lot of people and I'm getting to know more S.A.M. members everyday. My goal is simply to be a conduit between these teachers and students and the folks here in the Twin Cities as well as from around the country, who have already achieved inspirational excellence.

So--if you have ideas about chamber music and collaboration, please let me know. My friend Vickie has a high end chamber music series in little Blanco, TX--there are so many good ideas out there.  We will start planning now for the next two years.

Mary's taking dance with two of her best friends--she will be in good company. Everything, including playing music, is more fun with friends. Here's to the upcoming collaborations.







No comments:

Post a Comment