Tuesday, September 23, 2014

This is My Father's World






This is my Father's world, and to my listening ears
all nature sings, and round me rings the music of the spheres.
This is my Father's world; I rest me in the thought of rocks and trees, 

of skies and seas; his hand the wonders wrought. 

This is my Father's world; the birds their carols raise;
the morning light, the lily white, declare their maker's praise.
This is my Father's world; he shines in all that's fair.
In the rustling grass I hear him pass; he speaks to me everywhere.

This is my Father's world; oh, let me not forget that,
though the wrong seems oft so strong, God is the ruler yet.
This is my Father's world; why should my heart be sad?
The Lord is King, let heaven ring; God reigns, let earth be glad.


Yes, this hymn is about our heavenly father, but I don't think God minds too much if it reminds me of my earthly father too.

Daddy, a lot has happened in five years. Calvin is so tall. His hands are bigger than mine. Mary is doing her Mary things. You would be so proud of Susan--she's been so brave and strong. She's just like you--she does the right thing. Savannah is gonna be 16 and she's singing and marching to her own beat. Mommy is always busy--can't say she's making much progress on learning Czech. You would probably laugh. Bill, as always, is a rock. Me? I started writing five years ago with Caring Bridge and for better or worse I'm still writing. And doing the other Sara things. 


It's still my father's world. I hear his voice singing the bass line every Sunday. He winks at me every time I see a wild turkey. Every time I say "I love you, kid" to Calvin it's his tone of voice. Even though he's gone, he's always with me.

So, this one goes out to all the grown-up little girls who still miss their daddies. When you love someone, you never stop missing them. And I think that's okay.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Sara. I needed this. Here's a line I especially needed: This is my father's world. He shine's in all that's fair...though the wrong seems oft so strong, he is the ruler yet. This is my father's world. Why should my heart be sad? And let's never forget another line from the song that got Daddy, me and many people through his short journey to the ages- With Christ as Lord over Heaven and Earth, How Can I Keep From Singing? PS- Since you said that I am brave, then I can be brave today. Again, Thank you, Kind, kind sister.

    ReplyDelete