Monday, April 20, 2015

You Got to Dance with Them What Brung You


Last weekend Dr. Paul Wirth was here on behalf of our Suzuki Piano Teacher's Guild for a day of masterclasses.

We had a lovely day. Along with many good reminders about phrasing, pedaling, balance and performance practice, Dr. Wirth told a story--you got to dance with them what brung you--a modern day parable about a gal and her prom date. A story about loyalty, he used it to remind us about and ask us to reflect on why we play piano in the first place.

We play piano or flute or violin or we sing because at some point we were touched by music, not because we wanted better MCA scores or to win contests. Sure, there are a ton of Facebook articles about all the side effects of music study--and those benefits--everything from better attention span to clearer skin are great--but they aren't why we love music. We love music because it touches our souls and expresses the feelings of our hearts.

We need to periodically recommit to that loyalty--that original prom date--and dance with the one that brought us. If these kids don't have a love affair with music they're never gonna make it. Doris Harrel always asks-what is it that you love about this piece. Again and again I find that the right piece at the right time gets the job done too. There is so much good music out there and our time with these kids is really so short. Pick a piece they love. Right now Mary's having a first date with Burgmüller, Harmony of the Angels and the Limpid Steam. She gets it. She asks to practice.

After I thought about the loyalty to why we play piano in the first place, I found myself asking the question about everything. Why is it that I go to church? Why is it that I love my house and garden? Why did I have kids in the first place?

On the left is my childhood friend Casey, who lives in Houston. I went to music school and she went to law school. She worked at the district attorney's office in Houston for many years, prosecuting the worst of felonies whilst I built a studio of precious little cherubs playing piano. She built a life there. A few years ago she left to be a private defender in order to spend much needed time with her family. People need good defense too, and she's done well and had a pleasant routine with her family. The last few months she has been involved in a reality TV show project for TNT, "Cold Justice: Sex Crimes." Yes, this is completely crazy. My friend on TV. Their team goes into under-resourced communities and helps to solve older cases. They use their big city labs and stuff to reignite cold cases. I don't want to give anything away, but in the first episode the victim is a 74 year-old woman whose church lady friends had been praying that in some way justice would be brought to her rape which occurred two years ago on Good Friday as she went home from her church music job.

Why did you go to law school again?  I'm guessing church lady justice is a pretty close reason.

Is this the right thing for her and her family? I don't have all the answers. Yes, the routine is upside-down. Yes, her family is making big sacrifices--who knows how long they can sustain this or if the show will be a success? Big decisions. Scary changes.

But sometimes. . . you got to dance with them what brung you.

The show airs July 31st on TNT.

I'm not holding my breath for the reality TV show about the piano teacher. It'd be good but you would have to film it over fifteen years for one episode and who knows about the ratings. I'll have to settle for watching my friend. This means I'm probably gonna have to get cable. Good luck Casey, I'm proud of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment