Saturday, June 25, 2011

Colorado Suzuki Institute Day 5 With Students

Today was the last day of the piano camp.  The pianos divided into five final celebration recitals.  Having one recital would be too long.  So, I didn't get to hear all my kids play.  But I ran into most of them around the plaza and everyone seemed pretty pleased.  The students in my location played very musically.

The message I gave my repertoire class today was actually geared toward the parents.  I told them about when I was in college and I would have a run through for a recital and my teacher would meet me afterwards and very intensely with colored pencils and many marking go about telling me what I needed to work on for next time.  After every performance came a virtual dissertation about the ups and downs of my program.  This was appropriate and necessary for me to prepare properly for a high stakes recital, and to learn and grow.

Then I went to perform a run through of the same program, for my Suzuki teacher trainer and her husband, Doris and Ralph Harrel.  After I finished the 45 minute program at their home I expected some suggestions and critical comments. Instead,  she said, "That was lovely, shall we have our lunch."  I could have cried.  Sometimes we just need to hear that what we did was good enough.  We are good enough.

We can help coach our children and practice with them and remind them of details and tempos and what not, but after the performance we don't get to say anything except variations on a theme of  "good job" and "beautiful."  We don't lie and say it was awesome if it wasn't.  But the critique is over.   "I am glad you played" might be the most honest thing you can say.

Tonight, I can honestly say that everyone worked hard, made progress, and played with their heart. It was beautiful, and it was more than good enough.  Let's go celebrate. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment