Friday, May 2, 2014

May Day, May Day



It's May.

The end of school train has left the station.

These photos are from the "epic" train trip Bill and Calvin took last weekend. The middle part included Calvin throwing up on the train and in a hotel room for 24 hours.  Bill gets Dad of the year award there.

Today Mary has a minor oral surgery. She gets the tissues between her front teeth cut down with a laser. I had this done. My mom had this done--ours with traditional scalpel. Apparently strong women have strong muscles between their front teeth.

Then she gets her braces off. Then she gets her teeth cleaned. Yesterday the eye doctor. Calvin gets teeth cleaned today, then braces BACK on in two weeks. Don't ask.

My new kidney doctor appt. next week.

The sheer number of appointments we have on the calendar in the next 18 days is mind boggling. The whole dang google thing is filled in.

Did I mention Gertens plant sale delivery next Wednesday?  And a 10/8 "fun" new piece the choir is doing? For the record, 10/8 time signature is not fun, for followers of Bach and Beethoven.

So I yelled at my husband last night, because obviously this is his fault. He scheduled the gymnastics showcase and the band concert at the same time, which happens to be at 5:30 so that I have to move the whole afternoon of lessons, which still won't allow me to be in two places at the same time.

It's been forty degrees and raining for six consecutive days. I presume this is also his fault.

One of my student's moms wrote the kindest thing to me, while we were swapping emails about, you guessed it, the schedule. She added at the end. . . don't forget to get enough sleep and eat right the next few weeks.

When we get stressed--the first thing that happens is we don't do all the things we need to do to help ourselves--sleep, eat, exercise. Write.

So this one goes out to all the moms with all the google calendars and all the dads getting yelled at for their obvious role in overbooking their family's life.

Peace be with you. Sleep. Eat. Exercise. Pray. Write. Garden. Whatever you need. Secure your own oxygen mask. It's May.

P.S. Calvin and Mary both got accepted into the honors recital at the Colorado Suzuki Institute. Mary gets to play Clementi with the faculty string quartet.  In spite of my frustration with a capital F, I must be doing some small things right. Congrats to Calvin and Mary!

P.S.S. My teacher training application and thesis (exaggeration, it's only an 1800 word essay) are complete. All that is left to to compile my own performance videos and my student videos. Finding 30 minutes of "perfect" teaching. This is tricky.  You can't yell at the student and they can't pick their nose for starters. . .   keep filming.  (I'm kidding about the yelling part--I only yelled at my own husband and the cat and I'm sorry on both counts.) 




No comments:

Post a Comment