Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Colorado Suzuki Institute Day 2




Day two we traded kids. Bill went with Calvin to his classes and I went with Mary. I wanted to practice with Mary on the day of her honors recital. She didn't want to go through Vivace under tempo and she didn't want to go through the practice routine of the scale work. But she did. And then burst into tears when she saw I had put the assignment from her lesson into the Spinning Song music in aqua colored pencil. Apparently I used the wrong color or something. We recovered from that and finished the practice. Stress leaks out in wacky places.

In the moments before she played, after all the slow practice and all the time we spend the last three months on this piece, when push came to shove, all I wanted was for her to be happy. For her to have a positive experience. For nine years old to be pure. I didn't care if she rounded the phrase endings or exaggerated the dynamics. I just wanted Mary to be Mary.

And she was.

Mary's Honors Recital Link

1 comment:

  1. No words to describe how amazing this is to hear and see. Bravo, Mary Ray Kotrba!

    ReplyDelete