Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Maximalist Christmas 2018

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this meaningful project. 

Oliver Loves Christmas

Oliver and Melody Love Their New Cat Cave

Photographer in his natural habitat

Gabriella. . . the newest friend of the doll community 

Brunch! 

Christmas in Iowa with New Friends 

This gift sucks. Ha ha. . . it's a shop vac. 

Best photo bomb of the year at Zachary and Anna's wedding

Family Wedding Times 

Reception Selfie

Souhrada Girl Cousins

Dropping Off the Donation

Extending Goodbye for a couple hours.
We Christmas hard.
I fought it for years and years. . . reflecting on how to cut back, how to do less, spend less, eat less.
I finally let that go. Embrace the maximalist Christmas.

We don't do twelve days of Christmas. . . it's more like 40 days and 40 nights.
It's starts the Friday after Thanksgiving with Santa in Nisswa and well. . . we are pretty much still going. My birthday in January will wrap up the season.

I'm a sucker for traditions. And giving gifts is one of my great joys and one of my love languages. It's also fun to receive now and then. I tell you, when I opened a framed poem, a belated 50th birthday gift from Bill's sister and her husband, extolling my contributions to family and society at large, I FELT LOVED. Loved to tears.

Thinking about other people and what would bring them joy is an amazing thing, and it passes from generation to generation. The stockings from Bill's mom over the years, I can't imagine the hours she spent needle pointing them. I know my mom is looking out for pieces to my antique and cooking collections all year. And when Bill gives me pieces of my retired Christmas china, I know he's been watching eBay for a while.

It's not about the stuff or the price tag. It's about thinking about someone besides ourselves.
The time we spend in anticipation--my mom cooking for weeks before we arrive--every meal carefully thought out--another of her love languages.

Short of Texas folks. . . we got to see almost all our people, and every step of the way was filled with joy. We are so blessed with family and friends and studio folks. The house is a wreck, the floor is a wreck. Glitter, punch, pine needles, cookie crumbs. Ribbons.

Happy New Year to All. I hope your season was blessed!

P.S. Sorry I never finished my 25 Christmas Music Entries.  To be continued next year. But since you asked. . . New Year's Day is for Oleta Adams. Specifically the "Circle of One" CD. These sentiments left over from years away in Texas when the end of Christmas meant goodbye for a while. I'm sure next year I'll be hanging on to every day of Christmas more than ever.  I'm not going there too much today. Just a little.

Link to Everything Must Change
Link to Get Here
Link to I've Got to Sing My Song


1 comment:

  1. Sara,
    Good for you for taking the first step of the 12 Step Program to: overcome addiction to Christmas ...,oops, I meant for taking the first step to admitting that the 12 Days of Christmas ... oops, I meant that admit that our month and a half-long Christmas marathon is the opposite of minimalist. Additionally, the: "It's not about the stuff or the price tag. It's about thinking about someone besides ourselves" fits nicely into not changing our ways. Perfect! We will minimize other things. For example: My mind is drawing a blank right now, but I'm sure something will come to mind.
    You are too funny and too good to all of us. I love you!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete