Monday, April 18, 2011

An Assignment of the Heart

When I start a new family in the studio, we go through a parent orientation class.  This is always a valuable time to get to know the new family and share ideas about the Suzuki Philosophy.  Each time I review the material something new pops out at me.

I was reading how Dr. Suzuki would give his students a non-musical assignment.  The example given was that Suzuki asked the children to straighten the shoes at home several times a day, without being told.  They were to do this in secret as well, thus teaching the lesson of doing something for others without expecting recognition.  Dr. Suzuki didn't live in Minnesota, in my house, where the pile of coats, mitten, hats, shoes, boots and wet socks can reach epic daily proportions--and I only have two children.  Dr. Suzuki didn't know what he was asking for.

In Texas I had one coat and about five total pairs of shoes.  When I visited my husband's Eagan apartment when we were dating, I seriously couldn't believe he had a whole closet full of coats.  One for rainy weather with temps between 30-50 degrees, one for dressing up between 15-30 degrees, one for skiing, one for bitter cold work outside. There were shoes for shoveling show, for exercise, for work, for yard work. .  . you get the point.  This was NOT the simple life.

I digress.

So I thought about this character training idea.  I'm not going to try this on my students yet, but I'm trying it on my own family.  The assignment this week.  No yelling.  Our family doesn't yell in anger.  We just yell. MMMMAAARRRYYYY.  CCCAAALLLVVVINNNN.  MMMMAAAMAAAA.  DADDDDDDY.  Yep.  We yell.  Across the house, down the stairs, up the stairs.  Whenever we need someone's attention.  So this week:  no yelling.  Go find the person.  Especially if it is me.

One small step for character training.  One giant leap for household peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment