Monday, April 11, 2011

Piano Priority What?

In the policy letter that I give students each Fall, it states that my studio is a piano priority studio.  In other words, this experience is geared toward families with a high level of commitment to piano.  This is fine to say on paper, but what does it really mean?  It is intended to mean that my students are supposed to prioritize piano above their other activities.  Hmmff. 

Obviously, I have very little leverage to support this.  It has never been my style to "fire" an uncommitted student.  I truly believe that every child can succeed at the piano, but our success is contingent upon a few key elements--the Suzuki triangle--an excellent teacher, a caring parent committed to the process, and a kid.  The kid gets to just be the kid.  

So what leverage does the teacher have to promote excellence in the studio?
Lesson time.  

I have always thought that in a perfect world the student could just show up for the lesson and it would take as long as it takes.  When we were done with everything the lesson would be over.  Could be 30 minutes, could be a couple hours.  Heaven knows we could fill the time.  We might even stop for tea. But, I'm not Mozart and this isn't 1776 and we don't have wealthy royal patrons to support us all. 

Instead, starting this summer I am changing my studio requirements for lesson length.  Students in Book 1 can take a weekly 30 minute lesson, but students in Books 2-5 will need to take at least a 45 minute lesson.  Students in Book 6 and beyond will be required to take an hour lesson.  No exceptions.  

How can we promote excellence if we don't ever have enough time to get through the lesson material? 
If this policy becomes a financial hardship on any family I will work out a plan with them.  It isn't about the money, it is about the quality of the lesson.  

Next Fall I am taking over Beth Turko's position as president of The Twin Cities Suzuki Piano Teacher's Guild.  We have been having some great discussions at our meeting about increasing the quality of our teaching.  I am going to encourage our group to make sure students are getting appropriate lesson lengths.  

I think this is a really important step for some of my students.  Most of them are already taking long enough lessons.  The few who aren't will be pleasantly surprised at the amount of progress they will make when given enough quality lesson time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment