Monday, October 24, 2011

Bible Stories

Our church is doing a year-long series, going through the Bible chronologically, highlighting the big stories. This is so cool for those of us who, when we are actually being disciplined about Bible reading, only go to the Psalms and Epistles.  I never open my Bible up to Exodus.

This week was God's people wandering in the wilderness.  Pastor Paul Harris gave the sermon at the hill. Taking an ancient story and relating it to our daily life makes it poignant.  I took a few mental notes. What I took from his message was, God leads us to the promised land, but he will never force us to enter.  Those Israelites would rather return to slavery than forge ahead and trust God's plan.

Back in my twenties, how many times did I go back to Steve?  Being in a bad relationship was a known evil.  Being alone?  Scarier.

My friend's dad would rather return to alcoholism and mental illness than stay in the promised land of a loving family.  Not a thing she can do.  God doesn't force us into his grace.  Falling into our same habits and mental states is so comfortable compared to conjuring up the courage to make changes.  We're all choosing heaven or hell every minute we are here on Earth.  Some see a future of milk and honey, some see slavery as the better option.

Another point I took was the reminder of how quickly God's people forgot his miracles.  Real miracles.  I would like to think that if I saw the parting of the Red Sea I might not forget it so soon.  But, I have the same story.  I have this totally blessed life: I grew up in a loving family, got a great education, have a loving spouse, two healthy children, a career I love, and a beautiful home.   Suburban blessings.  Suburban miracles. Yet, how quickly I can throw that all out the window because my dad wasn't healed.  I didn't get the miracle I wanted.  That is some pretty stubborn pouting. It is its own wilderness.  A slavery of self-pity.

How easy it is to trust God's plan right up to when it includes losing someone we love.  How quickly we forget the miracles.  That is why those Israelites were always building monuments and stacking rocks--to remember the good times.  To remember the miracles.

I don't have any stacks of rocks or temples here in Eagan, but at least for today, I am gonna try to choose to remember the miracles in my life.  I'm gonna try to choose the promised land.

No comments:

Post a Comment