Thursday, October 20, 2011

Mama Bear

I'm feeling a little better now about the whole gymnastics thing.  I probably overreacted. When someone is critical of, or labels one of my kids or even one of my students for that matter, it brings out the mama bear in me.

Perhaps I think my precious angels can do no wrong.  Not.  My kids are intense.  Like all kids, they have their ups and downs and they can be sweet and angry and innocent and manipulative all in one day.  They are children.

Perhaps I don't take criticism well.  True.

But I think it is more than that. I think what gets me riled up is when teachers bring forth criticism without simultaneously offering up a solution.  A plan.

When I started 50 little kids at the piano at MacPhail in 1998, some of them fell through the cracks.  I wasn't able motivate them all. One little boy was struggling. He hated piano, looked out the window the whole time.  He was naughty.  Really naughty.  Bit me.  The dad yelled at me--ISN'T IT YOUR JOB TO MAKE HIM LOVE IT?  They quit.  I failed.  I didn't have a plan.  I judged that kid.  I judged others along the way as well, right up until I had my own kids.

I realized then, that parents just want teachers to love their kids.  Even when they are naughty. Even when they don't focus.  To take them where they are and bring them to the next level.  We are all on the same team.  We need a plan.

I'm still gonna find a new gymnastics coach.  Saying "no" to giving Mary extra help was the fatal blow for her old coach.

No is not a plan.

No does not teach.

No does not develop of love of learning.

No does not love my child.

No comments:

Post a Comment