Sunday, November 20, 2011

Thank You Mrs. Schoen

Dear Principal Haugen,     I'm writing this letter with a special request in mind.  I know this might not be possible, but could you please add sixth grade to Deerwood Elementary?  We have enjoyed kindergarten through fifth grade, but are not quite ready for Calvin to move on to middle school next year.      Sincerely,   The Kotrbas
Hmmm.  I doubt it will work, but it was worth a try.  One of the reasons we love Deerwood is the music program.  I've said this before, but I'll say it again, it really is amazing, and the main reason is Lisa Schoen.

The Da Capo choir had it's concert Wednesday after school.  At least 130 third, fourth and fifth graders sang in the concert.  These kids signed up and stayed after school an hour once a week for about six weeks.  How they got all this music learned is beyond me, not to mention cute actions and a fifties theme.  It was really lovely. She also let Calvin play the accompaniment on the last song, which was really special for him.  Many kids had vocal solos throughout. Congrats Lisa, the choir did a great job and thanks also to Mrs. Sipe for accompanying them!  Bravo!

The next night, we had the fifth grade program, Alice in Wonderland.  As Principal Haugen said, Mrs. Schoen outdid herself. Calvin was one of the white rabbits. I believe that every student had a spoken part and most had a solo line to sing. They each marched up to the microphone to say or sing their part.  Nobody balks or makes a funny face. They all do a great job. They all had a costume. Everyone. The parents did not have to make the costumes, thank you very much. . . Calvin told me at 6:00 a.m. Thursday morning that he needed a white shirt and grey sweatpants to wear under his rabbit accessories that day and by the grace of God each was clean and folded in the drawer.

Talk about an every child can situation. Why shouldn't we all be able to sing a song or say a line in public? What a great opportunity for all these kids, every one of them.  There are a few stars, but everyone sings well and has a pleasing voice. What a great life skill. It has been such a wonderful thing to watch all these children get more and more comfortable in their voices over these years of programs.

So Friday I was a little tender that the programs were all over for Calvin.  I wished there would be a sixth grade program.

I still remember my sixth grade musical--I was the indian princess, and it was something about rain and Texas bluebonnets and I had to sing a solo with Matt Lindaman the pioneer, whom I also had a crush on.  My mom sewed the fake leather dress.  It really was the beginning and the end of my musical theatre career. Mrs. Darland did a pretty good job directing us all. Probably no longer politically correct subject matter.

These kids will remember their roles in Alice in Wonderland too. Especially if it makes the reruns on Eagan public cable TV.

I can't imagine how much work it was to write the script and plan the songs and make a costume for each child. I know Mrs. Olive the art teacher helped and Mrs. Fischer the P.E. teacher helped too.  So, thank you all, but especially Mrs. Schoen.  We love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment