Wednesday, April 4, 2012

In Sickness and in Health. . . part two

I spoke too soon.  Whatever bug I was fighting returned with full vengeance and with the unmistakable pressure of a sinus infection.  Why limit yourself to viruses when you can add bacterial infections on top? So, I'm running a course of antibiotics.  Blah.  Bill is out of town, double blah.

I woke this morning at 5:30 to the sound of Calvin blowing his nose about 50 times in a row.  This is week three for his rhinitis. Triple blah. I rushed in to stop the nasal destruction.  Armed with a hot wash cloth, nasal mist, and ibuprofin I made my best effort to calm him down.  I also pulled out the big guns--the liquid prednisone.  I'm sure his teachers won't appreciate that, but desperate times call for desperate measures.  I also said a calming prayer with him and encouraged him to imagine himself breathing freely and peacefully.

We actually stumbled our way through a very productive piano practice after that.  Kudos to him for pulling it together.  One box of tissues later he had learned the entire Bach Prelude in C major and the A section of Petite Noir by Debussy hands alone.   Prayer or prednisone?

Along this piano journey I made the decision to practice even when he was congested.  If we hadn't, we would have missed out on several years' progress.  Many mornings he has stopped between each phrase to blow his nose.

Everyone has their cross to bear and I guess this is his.  It will go on for a while and then one morning he will wake up and he'll be fine.  I don't know how to make that happen or heaven knows I would.  It's one of those mysteries.  I hope when I die I get the print out of the answers to these and many other questions.

In the mean time--prayer, prednisone, antibiotics and time.  Here's to more health than sickness!

No comments:

Post a Comment