Saturday, April 28, 2012

Mrs. Smith, I Don't Know How You Do It

Bill and I have a little joke.  When he is on a trip and having a fancy dinner out, probably chances are high that something not so great is going on at home.  Likewise, not so much lately, but it used to be all the time, when I would leave town, one of the kids would throw up.

So, he texted me from Las Vegas this afternoon that he was checking into a pretty fancy hotel and I should expect to get out the throw up bowl.  Well. Mary is asleep on the couch in the piano room with her blanket and her throw up bowl.  She got that funny tummy feeling right at bedtime, when I was headed in to practice.  I said she was welcome to feel sick there on the sofa, but I had to practice the anthem for tomorrow morning.  She drifted off to sleep without throwing up.  Tomorrow morning I was planning a test run, of leaving the two kids home alone for an hour while I go to church and play.  Then I'll come home and get them ready for the second service.  I'm not sure how that will work if she isn't feeling good.  There isn't a plan B.   The anthem for tomorrow is called "The Gift to Be Simple."  I couldn't agree more, but some days life just doesn't turn out that way.  It isn't exactly simple running back and forth to church all morning to play "The Gift to Be Simple."   See, I made myself chuckle--things must not be too bad. . .

Thursday night was the Deerwood 5th Grade Band concert, under the direction of Susan Smith.  I had the pleasure of attending twice, once in the afternoon and once in the evening.

What a nice show.  Fifty-eight kids all started an instrument last Fall and in eight months they sound pretty darn good.  I don't know what a fifth grade band usually sounds like, but I'm told that this group is especially musical.  It doesn't surprise me--I can't even name all the kids in that grade who are so sharp.  It is an awesome group of kids.  They play half a dozen songs as a band and then Mrs. Smith pulls each section out for a feature.  Of course the percussion ensemble was my favorite.  Calvin, Maxim, Ellie, Jack and Eva all seemed to be having a really great time playing a piece I understand Mrs. Smith procured just for them.  Cool.

I also loved Louie, Louie.  A handful of kids came forward to improvise a solo.  Now, I know we weren't doing that at our second band concert.  Calvin didn't get to improvise.  That's because he got to play the drum set.  It was a pretty long song and I could hear him getting a little tired--but I was really proud of him.  Those tom tom fills were pretty impressive for a little ten-year-old kid.  I fear that like others before him,  the decisions that will have to be made down the road will be very tough.  Calvin is one heck of an improviser--I heard him play F Blues last night at piano group.  But it is very cool to play the drum set too.  As much as I would be tempted to sway him, I know that in the end he will have to decide what roads he takes.  He might turn up like those kids in college that I always hated because they were drummers and then sat down at the piano and blew your mind.  Very annoying. . .

For the final number, they played Lisa Schoen's Deerwood School Song, arr. by Susan Smith.  While Mary sang her heart out next to me, Deerwood Alumni and parents were invited to bring an instrument up to join the band.  Principal Haugen brought up his trumpet, Mrs. Sipes her saxophone.  Andy Moon brought his trumpet too.  Last but not least, my hubby brought out his tenor.  He stood in the back with the percussion and they all played "Deerwood, you're the one. . . "

I did note, that my husband was the only was the only one who was wetting his reed three songs ahead and it took him forever to adjust the ligature on the mouthpiece that once belonged to Eddie Daniels.  .  .   ahem. . .Bill . . . it's only the Deerwood fight song. . . I guess being meticulous about the details of the horn is how he gets away with NEVER practicing.    We all have our type A moments.    Calvin was beaming to stand and play next to his Daddy.  Someone asked me why I didn't bring my French Horn.  "Weren't you a French Horn major. . "  I suddenly felt like Peter with the rooster crowing.  No.. . .no. . . me?  No.  I denied it three times.   Truth is, in a fit of musical rebellion, I sold my horn for rent money.  Several months worth, I might add.

At risk of writing way too much tonight--we could have chosen an arts magnet school, or a private school, but we made the commitment to support our local public school.  What a blessing, it turns out we got this awesome little school where the principal gets up and plays on the band concert and two thirds of the kids are in band and music is totally lifted up and celebrated!  I sat behind a group of teachers at the afternoon show and after every song one of them said, WOW.  And they meant it.
That makes all the kids sitting there believe that music is cool.

Thanks, Mrs. Smith. I don't know how you did this, in one hour long morning rehearsal each week, but you did, and it was lovely.

D E E R W O O D  Deerwood!  Deerwood! Yay. . .. Deerwood!

No comments:

Post a Comment