Monday, April 1, 2013

Tax Season

Just a little public note of thanks to my husband, Bill, for the countless hours he has spent sequestered in the cold dark basement sorting through the wadded receipts from the piano account, in some mad spectacle of attempted organization to give our documents to the tax preparer.  He gets bonus points because much of the time he was down there Calvin was practicing drum set next to him.

I'm sure we are not alone in asking the question, why?  Why disability insurance for our part time nanny?  Why figuring the percent of toilet paper (and other supplies) used by the piano kids for the business use of home form?  Why depreciation on an instrument as old as my first born child?  I'm just a little old piano teacher.

Really, I should have just let Bill work, and then I should have gotten an accounting degree followed by medical school. Were I a CPA, then I could just do our taxes.  Had I gone to medical school, then Bill wouldn't have to spend so many hours sorting out the insurance forms.  I could just be our family practitioner.  I'm sure the time commitment would have come out about even. He's starting to call it his Aetna hour at work--the weekly time it takes to sort it all out. And we are a healthy family! Okay, I'm not counting Mary's propensity for an upset stomach. Seriously, we have a combined four degrees and we can barely keep things straight.  How do the little old ladies of the world figure it out? What a waste of time.  

Lastly, thank you Bill for the kickin' spreadsheet you created for the Deerwood Elementary Gerten's plant sale fundraiser!  No other school, and I mean it. . . has such a functioning tool for analysis of it's geranium sales!  He can give you the year over year daily report and create a story to justify it on call.  Petunia sales are down 60% so far this year?  Must be the price of crude oil.  Stock sales are down on potting soil out west?  Or maybe nobody in Minnesota thinks there is any hope that the temperature will ever get above 32 degrees.  Why would we spend money on flowers just to watch them freeze.

I digress. Thank you Bill!  I don't have a picture of you to post, because again, you take all the pictures.  I appreciate you, and I'm looking forward to a weekend in Austin alone with you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment