Tuesday, July 2, 2013

A Golden Weekend

50th Anniversary spread!

The big occasion!

Janel (Grandmommy) and Calvin take a tender walk

Mary leaves a note!


Diane and Bill, my Bill's folks

Uncle Dave?  Uncle Dave?  I have a question. . . oh, were you going to tee-off? 

Bill, Diane, Rick, Jim and Sheila

Grandpa and Calvin on the paddle boat

Photo op. . . 

After the photo op. . . 
We had a lovely weekend celebrating the 50th wedding anniversary of Bill's parents, Bill and Diane aka Grandma and Grandpa or Mom and Dad K. Bill and I and the kids, my mom, Bill's sister Ann and her husband and his parents, and Bill's two uncles and one aunt joined together at the Grand View Lodge in Northern Minnesota. Cue the loon call. . .

We ate too much food. Really good food.

We had a lovely party-punctuated by a program with Calvin and Mary singing and playing the piano.  My Bill put together a memorable slide show with pictures and videos he gathered with his sister.  I have to add that Calvin had to teach him how to put it all together on the computer. It gave them something to do while I got food together and packed for the four of us.  Note very small hint of loving sarcasm. . . but of course it was so worth it when we got to see the video footage from their wedding and photos of all the babies and graduations and lifetime landmarks. Again, Taylor Swift had me in tears with "I had the best day with you. . . today."   It's true we've had a lot of "the best days," and that's only the ones I remember and I haven't even been a Kotrba all that long in the grand scheme of things.

After eating some more. . . we had a Kotrba family picture taken. I thought about the Modern Family scene where they wrap the white shirted little boy in saran wrap until the moment of the photo. . .

Fifty years is pretty special. I don't even truly know what that means. God willing Bill and I will be eighty years old when we reach that golden day. My parents missed it by a year.

Some folks take a cruise, or throw a ball, but I think the Kotrbas did it right with this trip. It was a slam dunk. The three brothers hadn't been together since g'grandma Melva passed away and it was in my opinion, a very special reunion with a lot of hugs and smiles and remembrances. No one else has the same memories as your brothers and sisters and you. That's pretty sacred I think. I'm so glad almost everyone was there.

So congratulations Mom and Dad K.  I love you. You are one awesome example of a Christian marriage. When Bill and I were dating and learning about each other I asked about his parents and what their marriage was like.  He said many positive things but one struck me. He said his parents were always polite to each other. They never snapped and still said please and thank you year after year. They kept common courtesies long after the honeymoon was over. That takes discipline. And love. And patience. And kindness.

I've said a few things lately that I regret, I've let my tongue slide. We all snap now and then. Of course a marriage is so much more than niceties. . . we need forgiveness too. . .but just being pleasant sure does go a long way toward making the "best days with you. . . "

The Lodge at the Grand View Resort has a plaque with the motto of the original owner:  God first, others second, self last. I thought that was neat and I thought that that is very much how a good marriage is supposed to work too. God first, spouse second. . . self last.

Mom and Dad K, blessings on your anniversary and the next milestones. I had the best day . . with you. . . today.


No comments:

Post a Comment