Thursday, July 18, 2013

The Things We're Handed Down

Today is Calvin's twelfth birthday!  Happy birthday Calvin.  He looks the spitting image of pictures of Bill at the same age. Blond hair. Blue eyes. Not yet grown into his teeth. Spindles for arms and legs.

Next week is my mom's birthday. We celebrated last week by going to Santa Fe. My mother, my sister and I were there for five days including travel. We had a lovely time. Everywhere we went people seemed to know that we were related. . . I wonder why they thought that?  My mom is turning 60 and my sister is 35 and I'm 30. . . well. . . at least that's how we feel.  

Our genes are very strong.  No matter what we do we pretty much are the shape and size, color and texture of who we come from.

That can be good and bad. In August I'm slated to start glaucoma medication. My MD thinks I have early onset of this disease. Of course when she told me this I started making a list of things I could still do without my vision and tried to ward off the mental image of my dad's dad with his coke bottle glasses feeling my face to "see" which grandchild I was. . .

But. . . a kind eye doctor from church took the time to explain to me that things are different now. . . it's not so dramatic. Many ultra nearsighted folks are on this medicine indefinitely and they are not yet wielding those rubber ended canes to cross the street. . .

The things we're handed down. I wonder if I'll be able to afford a personal assistant to drive me to the grocery store. Just kidding. . . . but vision was not one of the Stephens' perks.

I'll make an herb garden that I can smell. . .

See, it's very difficult to control one's negative thoughts. . .

My maternal grandmother lived to be 91. That is what antiquing and collecting native American folk art and jewelry and primitive grey enamel will get you.  Personally I'm not tempted by the Mexican rugs and turquoise but I have other vices, that's for sure.

One of the awesome things I've been handed down is creativity. My mom is the most creative person I know. So, I'm not ashamed to say that I carry a little of that gene. That almost makes up for the whole nearsightedness thing.

In the creativity book I've been quoting lately Twyla Tharp asks us what our first creative memory is.

I asked my mom and my sister. My mom's first memory was painting some figurines bright colors. Susan's? Making "worksheets" for little Sara Jo to complete. Then correcting them. Mine?  Planning the Christmas Eve family music program with my sister.

My mom is the artist of her home and garden. My sister is a first class school teacher. Me? Well, I can put together a piano recital program like nobody's business.

I think we are in the right places. We can't escape our genes. We can only be the best version of ourselves. And pray that they keep updating spellcheck.

I'm off to do my piano practicum with Caroline Fraser tomorrow. I screened about 30 hours of my own teaching videos, which was a learning process in and of itself. Now the ones I chose will get critiqued. Last week the Four Kachinas Bed & Breakfast, this week, the Holy Names University dorms. Yeah.  All play and no work make--well I don't know know what they make--but I'm ready to get to work. California here I come.

Happy birthday Mother and thank you for an awesome trip!










1 comment:

  1. I had such a fun time with you and Mommy! Enjoyed reading your post. Saw a picture of the dorm you are staying in. I didn't know they made pillows that thin. Idea- If you triple it, perhaps it would be like a regular pillow. Love you!

    ReplyDelete