Sunday, June 12, 2016

Looks Like We Made It




We made it up the mountain to Beaver Creek Lodge last night after 17 hours in the car. Minnesota to Colorado in one fell swoop.

We made it through the last ten days of five recitals and a baby shower and a fifth grade talent show and finals and packing the family for two different trips.

We made it through a school year of 15 hour days and accompanying on the weekends and SAM workshops and Suzuki Piano Teacher's Guild events and Christmas teas and new Steinway pianos and cabin kitchen remodels.

Looks like we made it. But I am not the same person. I feel older and wiser and foolish for taking on so much. I'm not proud of the frantic pace of this year.  I'm not proud that one of Mary's phrases has become. . . when we're not so busy can we. . . .

But we made it. And we made it with a lot of love and only a couple days of darkness and only one or two instances of yelling.

The phrase "it's all good" is overused and kinda annoying, however it does often fit.

It was all good.

Marching band was good. Calvin embraced high school and had a great year. Mary had the best year ever at school and had great teachers and friends. The piano kids had an awesome end of year recital in an awesome hall. Calvin and Mary worked so hard and each performed very musical solo recitals.  Lena had a beautiful senior recital and we had a lovely party for her.  Mary loved recreational circus all year and also has a great relationship with her ballet teacher. We had great chamber music experiences again this year with the O'Briens sharing their gifts with the studio. I bought a once in a lifetime instrument.

It was all good.

When they say it takes a village. . . it takes a village.

It's not like we won a Grammy or anything but here are a few thank yous. . . .

My husband. We are a good team. He is the light to my darkness. How could I count the ways?
My mom. Couldn't have done Christmas or this recital season without you. Lord, I don't even know what all you did these last two weeks. I just turned around and stuff was done.
Bill's folks. . . holding down the fort in Nisswa and doing so many behind the scenes tasks that I don't even know about yet I completely appreciate.
Calvin and Mary for "self sitting" and getting their chores and practicing done while I taught.
Mary Lynn. For every panicked text to please go pick up Calvin cause marching band got switched.
Delores--my cleaning lady turned friend. It's expensive to have a cleaning lady but she's part therapist so that actually saves me a lot of money. Between the conversation and the cleaning, when she leaves I'm at peace.
Conor and Adrianna for all the beautiful chamber music.
Maggie. . . you know what you do. You keep me tough.
Jason for plowing me out.
Linda Erickson for recital help and pinch hitting with rides.
Bill Henry for subbing for me for workshop weekends at church and working with Calvin.
Dave Highum for taking the wheel at the fountain and helping me out from under a sinking ship of weeds.
The SAM and SPTG boards. . . when one of us slips the others steady us.
Mary Walker for apprenticing for the Deerwood plant sale--you're gonna do a great job next year.
The good folks at the Kowalski and Byerly's bakeries--you don't want to know my cake budget for the year.
Amazon Prime. You kept the kids in shoes, socks and underwear. You kept the studio in office supplies. You sent a new blender in two hours. I love you. I know you love me too.
Coborns grocery delivery. . . . we've been together for 15 years now. You know what you mean to me.  Please never leave me.

This is how we do it. It was all good. We made it. We honored our commitments. I'm not proud of my over scheduling this year, but tomorrow is a new day. Next year is a new chance to be a little more sacred with our "yes."






1 comment:

  1. Sara, You do an outstanding job of keeping it all together. I'm glad you made it!

    ReplyDelete